Thread: stainless & synthetic?

stainless & synthetic?

Hi,please forgive if this has been discussed before...Am on a six month journey to get some stalking experience and dsc1, at the end of which I hope to be fac & buying a suitable rifle. Now, I can see many fascinating discussions on SD about the merits of calibre, and rifle manufacturer, but I have a couple of other rifle related questions that I am curious on:1 - barrel type...i see several members expressing a preference for stainless barrels, (rather than normal blued barrels?) - do these have any benefits / drawbacks?2 - stock material...synthetic or wood. What are the common reasons to go for one rather than the other?insights most appreciated - i.e. are these just cosmetic preferences, or are there other considerationsthankstonyt

After seeing a mate stood on a hillside with a stainless barrel glinting in the sun I personally wouldn't consider one,a shot blasted one may be a better option but still not my cup of tea.

After seeing a beautiful wood stock warp, (not mine) after poor care, down to three days rain on the hill, synthetic has to be the way forward, unless you don't mind putting a little more care into your rifle, stainless, never had any trouble with it, lots of things shine out in the countryside, just don't waggle it round like a flag!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

stainless shot blast and sin stock my choice sako 85 ! to help with shine i wrap my mods in camo web tape
    of just go rusty blue and old treewood
    Last edited by paul o'; 10-06-2013 at 16:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    After seeing a mate stood on a hillside with a stainless barrel glinting in the sun I personally wouldn't consider one,a shot blasted one may be a better option but still not my cup of tea.
    Have it Vapour blasted no shine and when you scratch it or its marked from screwing a moderator on and off or general signs of use have it blasted again and looks like new again.
    costs pennys to do.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

As regards wood... it can warp as above. If it's expensive wood and it gets scratched then you take a hit financially on the rifle.
    Laminate is a good alternative if you don't want synthetic, a bit heavy though.

As regards stainless...

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...-Why-stainless

all very helpful thanks - best to get this clear in my head before i get too focused on any particular style!!

costs aside, it looks to me that rust blueing or stainless are the hardier versions, caustic bluing needs more careful handling, particularly for extended / wet trips.
    similarly sythetic / laminate are hardier versions, solid wood is the classic, but needs care