Thread: chilling venison

chilling venison

Hi guys

I just wonted a little advise. If you have to lets say chill your meat for the weekend before you can sell it . Would you skin first or chill for the weekend then skin.

Regards
    Craig
    “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.”
    ― Criss Jami

I stand to be corrected but it is my understanding that venison should be chilled as soon as possible after being shot
    If you want to retail it skinned you need a larder and have it passed by local authoraty food hygine dept.
    IF you sell it in the skin then all you need is large game food hygine cert (now a part of DSC1) and some decleration tags.
    If I am butchering it for my own use I hang it for a few days in the skin then skin it return it to the chiller for 24 hours before jointing it.
    if you skin it freshly killed I find the surface dries out and goes black if its hung for any length of time.

If you're selling to a game dealer it must not be skinned, unless of course you're registered as a food business etc etc.

Cool thank you guys at least I know to keep the skin on now. I would love to go the other route but dont have no where enough land to get enough deer to make it worth it.

​Craig
    “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.”
    ― Criss Jami