Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 6.5x55 under 800

Which 6.5x55 under 800

Hi guys
    I have just had a slot on my fac for a 6.5x55 and just cant make my mind up on a rifle.
    The rifle is to be used as a deer management rifle....predominately Red and Fallow.
    I first looked at the cz 550....I have also considered a Browning X bolt or a Tikka T3.
    Just to throw a spanner in the works what about the Howa 1500? Anything else I think is out of my budget.
    The rifle is to be a tool for a job, not a cherished possession. Don't get me wrong it will of course be looked after, but isn't going to be a pride and joy type rifle...it just must do what it says on the tin in the field.
    Most of my work will be done from a high seat in woodland rides.

Would the wood stock of the CZ be a bad idea?

Is the Howa cheap for good reason?

Any thoughts or comments on the above would be greatly appreciated. The more I look the more unsure I am on the best option!
    Cheers
    FF

I have a CZ 550 in 308, great rifle and it does exactly what its meant to without any thrills, mine has a wooden stock but I wouldn't get another wooden stocked rifle, I prefer the synthetic stocks due to my rifles being tools in my job (keeper/stalker) so I don't have to worry about scratching a nice piece of wood on a metal high seat, land rover or quad.

I also have a Howa 1500 in 223 and can't fault it for being a budget fox dropper (also brilliant on Roe when I worked in Scotland) its a great rifle with a very good action, the stocks are also brilliant, much better than that of a tikka or browning in my opinion.

......having said all that, I'm in the same situation as yourself, I'm after a 6.5x55 but I have already settled on a Tikka t3 lite as my next purchase. A lot of my friends who are keepers/stalkers use Tikka's as estate rifles, they cant fault them. They're the work horse of the rifle world!

I've either owned or shot all the guns you list, all accurate apart from the x-bolt that I didn't like at all but that's just my take on it.
    the CZ is the weightyest at around 8 lbs.
    The Tikka T3 is my favourite, it's also the lightest.
    The Howa/Weatherby is a little heavier at around the 7 1/2 lb mark but the easiest to strip of the list.
    X-bolts usually come in at 6.5 lbs. Only good thing I can say about the one I had was the trigger wasn't too bad out of the box.
    My vote would be the Tikka T3 lite. Great rifle, terrific accuracy and very reliable. Superb workhorse

i would go for the tikka. good trigger easy adjusted. smooth bolt and perfectly smooth feeding from the single stack mag. never hear of many tikka's that don't shoot great groups right from the off

Hi Fursty

Run to the best one you can on the money you have, aim to get a tikka, they are reliable work horses, all my rifles are in wood and have taken some punishment with the weather and whatever else comes along. makes no difference really what material you have on the rifle, get the best build and anyway wood looks fantastic when you keep it maintained and oiled up.

good luck

ATB

​Phil

Morning Fursty

If you can run to 950, there's a cracking Sako on Guntrader (with an S&B scope/mounts for an additional 350)
    Sako 6.5x55 75 Action 4 Deluxe Wood Blued Bolt Action Second Hand for sale. Buy for 950.

However, it could be argued that you spend as little as possible on the rifle, and considerably more on the scope and binos, so you'll be better hiking those budgets up instead!!

+1 for the Tikka though. I had one in .243 and it was superb

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means youve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Worth a look as newly posted...
    For Sale: Browning 6.5x55
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means youve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I had a T3 light in 6.5 for a few years, excellent accuracy and stood up well to the rain we get here. If I was to buy another it would be the same rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
    Hi guys
    I have just had a slot on my fac for a 6.5x55 and just cant make my mind up on a rifle.
    The rifle is to be used as a deer management rifle....predominately Red and Fallow.
    I first looked at the cz 550....I have also considered a Browning X bolt or a Tikka T3.
    Just to throw a spanner in the works what about the Howa 1500? Anything else I think is out of my budget.
    The rifle is to be a tool for a job, not a cherished possession. Don't get me wrong it will of course be looked after, but isn't going to be a pride and joy type rifle...it just must do what it says on the tin in the field.
    Most of my work will be done from a high seat in woodland rides.

Would the wood stock of the CZ be a bad idea?

Is the Howa cheap for good reason?

Any thoughts or comments on the above would be greatly appreciated. The more I look the more unsure I am on the best option!
    Cheers
    FF
    my first 6.5x55 was a T3 lite... awesome rifle, clover leafed out of the box, fantastic trigger etc.. I played with all the others around the same price and none felt as nice, particularly the triggers and from what I've been told, one needs to start spending money on modifications to get the others to do what the T3 does out of it's packaging!

My 6.5 is a steyr pro hunter mnt second hand they are cheap enough worth a look in my op !
    Cheers
    ​norma