Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aggressive Badgers!

Aggressive Badgers!

I took my GSP out for the first time with me tonight and we ended up having a bit of a confrontation in one of the small woods that I stalk which is plagued by badgers. We had just got into the wood when there was a badger in the middle of the track about 10' away which isn't uncommon, I assumed it would move out of the way as we moved through like usual and disappear into cover. What I wasn't expecting was a double-hard badger which puffed itself up and hissed and started stalking towards my GSP and then charged! I had to swing my sticks at it to try and scare it off which it did just before it connected with the dog. After this altercation we continued through the wood only about another 10m when we met another and blow me this one wanted a go as well! I actually managed to pin it against the ground with my sticks and pushed it away.

Never seen this reaction before, is it because of the dog this time or are they particularly protective at this time of year? My GSP was a nervous wreck and so was I, all I could think was vet bills!
    Last edited by PointBlank; 10-06-2013 at 23:22.

They are probably suffering from 'mad badger disease' mate. Dr Brian May is trying to find a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunting Solutions View Post
    They are probably suffering from 'mad badger disease' mate. Dr Brian May is trying to find a cure.

Glad we got a buck later on otherwise she could have been put off for good. Probably saw between 15-20 badgers on about 500 acres this evening before sunset.... and they say the population isn't too high

Local MP in Derbyshire is actually saying that if the cull takes place it will lead to the extinction of badgers in the UK!
    ​She obviously doesn't get out much then.

You were lucky. Sooner or later some dog walker will have a similar incident and not be able to stop the attack ending up with the dog savaged and possibly killed and the owner mauled trying to save the dog then all hell will break loose. No doubt May the "mouth" and his supporters will blame the owner.

They've know about the cull... I knew this day would come it was for-told..... The revolution it's here.....

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

“Four legs good, two legs bad.”

“The only good human being is a dead one"

Quote Originally Posted by White Hart View Post
    They've know about the cull... I knew this day would come it was for-told..... The revolution it's here.....

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

“Four legs good, two legs bad.”

“The only good human being is a dead one"

A few years ago I was conducting perimeter fence checks at Manchester airport about 0300hrs when a badger appeared in front of the Range Rover. It was running away and made 3 attempts to escape through the fence without success. It then turned showed its teeth and attacked the vehicle.
    Result:
    Range Rover 1 : Badger 0
    My partner in the passenger seat was traumatised as I reversed just to make sure
    Wingy

Should have shot them. Self defence........

They might have had their young somewhere close-by. Most times a badger will run from a dog that is keen but with young nearby they can be savage.
    I would avoid the area for a few weeks until the young have had a chance to move on.