Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5mm Sierra Bullet Heads 85gr HP

6.5mm Sierra Bullet Heads 85gr HP

Has any used 6.5mm Sierra Bullet Heads 85gr HP. If so how did the perform. regards ​john

I used them a number of years ago in a nice old circa 1960 Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in 264 WIN MAG . Had a Leupold Vari XIII 4.5-14AO mounted on top . I was pushing them rather hard with IMR4831 as well as I can remmember and was getting three in about 3/4" at 100 yards . I worked this up for groundhogs however and never tried it on deer . In that rifle I used the Nosler 120 grain BT for deer .

Thanks for the info, any ideas what FPS you were achieving.

It's a varmint bullet, isn't it? Wouldn't fancy humming one at a deer....
    I bought a box by mistake in a batch of 120gr Prohunters, ended up trading them back to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by J o h n View Post
    Thanks for the info, any ideas what FPS you were achieving.
    Well as I can remmmember it clocked something like 3550 FPS from the 26" pipe .

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    It's a varmint bullet, isn't it? Wouldn't fancy humming one at a deer....
    I bought a box by mistake in a batch of 120gr Prohunters, ended up trading them back to the dealer.
    Yup they are varmint bullets hence the reason I tolf the OP that I used the Nosler 120 BT for deer in that rifle !

And while we're on the subject I shot a rather small whitetail buck at about 65 yards with same 264 shooting the Nosler 120 BT , the angle was rather acute and I had something happen I have never had happen before or since . At the crack of the rifle the animal turned more broadside then he had been and I saw the whole side of ribs on the side I had aimed turn RED . The bullet had skipped on the first rib and skipped right down his cage off several others ribs and not penetrating the cavity !
    Needless to say I put another one in him PDQ and he dropped right there .

If one really wants to take a 6.5mm and speed it up so to speak for deer IMHO the best option is the Nosler 6.5mm 100 grain Partition bullet .

I've shot that bullet out of the 260 REM I used to have with excellent accuracy although I never tried it on deer as I was always satisfied with the results I got using the Nosler 6.5mm 125 grain Partition .

Cheers. I may get them a crack foxing

Quote Originally Posted by J o h n View Post
    Cheers. I may get them a crack foxing
    Don't be surprised if they make a rather large exit hole on the fox . But then you guys don't save pelts do you ?

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Don't be surprised if they make a rather large exit hole on the fox . But then you guys don't save pelts do you ?
    I think some do, but not me.
    Cheers