6.5mm Sierra Bullet Heads 85gr HP

I used them a number of years ago in a nice old circa 1960 Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in 264 WIN MAG . Had a Leupold Vari XIII 4.5-14AO mounted on top . I was pushing them rather hard with IMR4831 as well as I can remmember and was getting three in about 3/4" at 100 yards . I worked this up for groundhogs however and never tried it on deer . In that rifle I used the Nosler 120 grain BT for deer .

It's a varmint bullet, isn't it? Wouldn't fancy humming one at a deer....
I bought a box by mistake in a batch of 120gr Prohunters, ended up trading them back to the dealer.

It's a varmint bullet, isn't it? Wouldn't fancy humming one at a deer....
I bought a box by mistake in a batch of 120gr Prohunters, ended up trading them back to the dealer.

Yup they are varmint bullets hence the reason I tolf the OP that I used the Nosler 120 BT for deer in that rifle !

And while we're on the subject I shot a rather small whitetail buck at about 65 yards with same 264 shooting the Nosler 120 BT , the angle was rather acute and I had something happen I have never had happen before or since . At the crack of the rifle the animal turned more broadside then he had been and I saw the whole side of ribs on the side I had aimed turn RED . The bullet had skipped on the first rib and skipped right down his cage off several others ribs and not penetrating the cavity !
Needless to say I put another one in him PDQ and he dropped right there .

If one really wants to take a 6.5mm and speed it up so to speak for deer IMHO the best option is the Nosler 6.5mm 100 grain Partition bullet .

I've shot that bullet out of the 260 REM I used to have with excellent accuracy although I never tried it on deer as I was always satisfied with the results I got using the Nosler 6.5mm 125 grain Partition .

I'm using these in my 6.5x55, reloaded them to a velocity of 1000m/s.

Very accurate and devastating on foxes, as is said above - not the round to use if you want to keep the pelt.

used them in my 6.5 with varget powder i get 3200 fps shot foxes, crows and necked a couple of roe close in where in devon are you as ive got some if you want to try a dozen.

I use 95g Vmax in mine, when I have used them on fox they make a right mess, nearly cut me in 2 once shot side on. Would never use one on deer I imagine the 85g even more explosive.

Back