Scope for moose

Acm

Hi all , dream hunt for me is to hunt moose , what scope would I be looking for to do this ? I've chosen a calibre already , I just need to decide on a scope so I can keep an ear out for a bargain .
Id been looking toward a low power - 1.5-6 variable .
​opinions please !

My garden shed is full of them . . .your going to need something with a good high magnification for the little blighters. . . :lol:

Is this the European or North American subspecies? Out of interest, what calibre did you choose? Your choice of scope sounds fine if you're looking at driven moose. Although that said, you don't need that much magnification, given that they're absolutely massive!

Is this the European or North American subspecies? Out of interest, what calibre did you choose? Your choice of scope sounds fine if you're looking at driven moose. Although that said, you don't need that much magnification, given that they're absolutely massive!
I already have a .308 and a .30-06 probably the European ( budget !)
do you hunt moose pine marten ?!

I already have a .308 and a .30-06 probably the European ( budget !)
do you hunt moose pine marten ?!

In my daydreams I am a great slayer of moose. This is because of a book I had as a child called "Pierre Bear", illustrated by Richard Scarry, where the eponymous Canadian anthropomorphised bear goes to hunt the "Terrible Moose". So my dream would be to go on a ten day horseback moose and caribou hunt in the Yukon one day. Which is why I play the Lotto. I have all the gear already in my mind though. Steyr-Mannlicher Classic Mountain in 9.3x62 I think...

How much eye relief does a moose need? Big nose on the stock! :D

David.

Sorry in one of those moods today.

Hi all , dream hunt for me is to hunt moose , what scope would I be looking for to do this ? I've chosen a calibre already , I just need to decide on a scope so I can keep an ear out for a bargain .
Id been looking toward a low power - 1.5-6 variable .
​opinions please !

Last year in Sweden I was loaned a Sauer 6.5x55 topped with a Zeiss - I think it was a 1.5-6x42 but a fairly old model. Given that this was traditional Swedish moose hunting, where you are sitting in a low seat and waiting for the moose to come past, I would have thought that scope was ideal. I was about 70 metres or so from the wood, so I had the scope set on around 2-5 to 3, which seemed absolutely fine when the cow came out and I shot it. It gave a nice balance between field of view and magnification. When I was standing on a ride I opened the scope right up to 1.5 on the basis I had no idea where the moose would come from and may appear right close up, so I wanted the widest field of view possible.

I'd caution against a typical driven boar scope (say 1.5-4x20) as it can get pretty dark in Sweden, even during the day, so you want as much light gathering power as possible. But that's just based on my thoughts, not experience.

willie_gunn

Scope for moose....................i would go carful bud, if the moose needs a scope you could be in trouble.

:)

bob.;

Thanks to everyone who replied sensibly , and to the rest of you - you seem to be in the same mood as me ! Must be the weather !:D

acm..

get a 3-12 Zeiss Duralyt Illuminated or similar, the red dot on low mag is perfect for moose and that what's going with me this year. With moose they quite often stop and can offer shots where a bit more mag would help at regular stalking distances.

Back