Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to sportmanship

Account Suspended

Whatever happened to sportmanship

Since retiring I find myself out in the field more often than not , topping up the freezer , even if just for a walk to watch , enjoy & studying the wildlife around the estates I live. The other past time I find myself getting entertainment is flicking through the various ' shooting' forums ( I say this lightly as most seem to know so much yakety yak ,yet do so very little or understand the 'sport' ) & read the amazing tales from the real sportsmen out there who understand the outdoors in the fresh air & around various sites , as well as the reading the unfortunate childish jealousy from dreamers & novices , I am guessing new to the 'sport' with contempt for those with knowledge or doing better .

I remember not so long ago when you could trust a like minded sportsman, build a bonding & go for a wander ,as well as a shoot sharing grounds & simply managing the grounds to our & of course the land owners advantage , keeping pest to a well balanced level & the game healthy & breeding well.
    Now I read almost & too much talk about is the ability to kill !! mainly without a reason why ? Anything a moron & idiot can do basically, so what happened to the bond, trust & the sportsmanship between us ? before it destroys our sport ! I am sure the leading sporting bodies are up to there back teeth in anonymous phone calls & bitching on forums , & generally ruining the 'sport'. (Is it too much tv soap influence & the need to get out more?)

I think it's related to the increase in let stalking.
    Seems to encourage greed in the thinly veiled name of 'value for money'. That and Stalking is the one of the new middle class 'lifestyle choices'. Who down the pub is gonna want to listen to the time they watched a woodpecker for over an hour or the two weasels playing or a doe nursing young.

I find the people most likely to share your ethos either are those who potter about on their own small farm or those who came to the sport the old fashioned way via the tutorage of a crusty old gamekeeper

However, the two can go together. There's nothing wrong with a bit of a killer instinct- it's often what drives you out of bed on a dank, freezing February morning when all that's bright, colourful and interesting in our glorious countryside is tucked up somewhere much warmer

sadly feller it went out with jumpers for goal post's! wish i was wrong but some chaps are still up for playing the game as it were
    atvb

think i'am lucky so far i'v never met a bad lad from this site in any dealings i'v had with them so some of us are still left.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord muck View Post
    Since retiring I find myself out in the field more often than not , topping up the freezer , even if just for a walk to watch , enjoy & studying the wildlife around the estates I live. The other past time I find myself getting entertainment is flicking through the various ' shooting' forums ( I say this lightly as most seem to know so much yakety yak ,yet do so very little or understand the 'sport' ) & read the amazing tales from the real sportsmen out there who understand the outdoors in the fresh air & around various sites , as well as the reading the unfortunate childish jealousy from dreamers & novices , I am guessing new to the 'sport' with contempt for those with knowledge or doing better .

I remember not so long ago when you could trust a like minded sportsman, build a bonding & go for a wander ,as well as a shoot sharing grounds & simply managing the grounds to our & of course the land owners advantage , keeping pest to a well balanced level & the game healthy & breeding well.
    Now I read almost & too much talk about is the ability to kill !! mainly without a reason why ? Anything a moron & idiot can do basically, so what happened to the bond, trust & the sportsmanship between us ? before it destroys our sport ! I am sure the leading sporting bodies are up to there back teeth in anonymous phone calls & bitching on forums , & generally ruining the 'sport'. (Is it too much tv soap influence & the need to get out more?)

Killer instinct I'm afraid is what every real hunter has, wether they realise it or not,........ it's a basic need if you are going to kill something for either eating, or just plain cos it needs killing. Vegetarian,(Bad Hunter).

Sportsmanship during the intended act of killing is an add on for those of us who can appreciate it.
    Last edited by finnbear270; 13-06-2013 at 06:36.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    Yes I understand the kill instinct when hungry cold, or the need , due to damage or balance ,but for the pure hell of it ! No, sorry cannot grasp that, nor the bitching jealousy amongst some .

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    I'm with Paul'O having never had a disagreement with a shooting chum but some of the stories told are 'interesting' ... the trespassing nocturnal dog walker who encounters a gun who can't tell the difference between a fox and a labrador ... and the 'proper pigeon shooters' who just dump their vermin kills in the nearest large river. The countryside is certainly changing

I think we all too often see those who partake in field sports as honourable sportsman just as we are, as of course we all believe we are! What we overlook is that actually it doesn't make a jot of difference what our chosen common interest is, there will always be a representative cross-section of society who have (sometimes widely) differing beliefs, opinions, backgrounds, ethics etc etc.
    Also, to ensure the longevity of our sport it needs to encourage new blood which are unlikely to come form the traditional methods as they are simply not as widespread as they used to be, and if we insisted that the entry into shooting were serving an apprenticeship with a gamekeeper/farmer then the sport would decline very rapidly.
    Also, Lord Muck, I would suggest that forums are certainly not a reresentative cross-seciton of society and unfortunately have a propensity to display the unsportsmanlike side of things.
    I am pleased to say that pretty much all the people I know who love field sports are sportsmen and do have a respect for others and the countryside that provides us with our bounty, and I would actually say on balance that all is good.

I know exactly where you're coming from, Lord Muck. It seems to be the way of the world these days.

BUT I have to say that all the folk I've had dealings with via this forum have been honourable gents through and through.

FB270 - I'd extrapolate your theory to be honest. It risks appearing elitist - which isnt the intent.

Sportsmanship is what the good hunters applied to themselves to prevent them lapsing over into being killers - which never seem to be quite so effective in taking game...

It is getting noticeably rarer these days - I think for many reasons and it is a sad thing to see. Very nice to see such a thread raised to both highlight and to remind those few of us remaining that we are not alone!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Near here it's Kill it before some other bugger does as there are so many about. It was the second point that jumped out at me.