Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most important feature to you on your stalking equipment ?

Most important feature to you on your stalking equipment ?

What's the most important thing to you on your stalking gear ? Durability ?
    Beauty ?
    Value ?
    Accuracy ?
    Quality ?

But to the man who bought a 2.5k blaser in a plastic stock what where your reasons ?

To the chap who buys a beautifully stocked sauer and takes it out onto a Scottish hill - why ?

And to those dedicated few who carry custom sniper rifles in ai stocks around on thier backs - what motivates you !

Personally the beauty and classic look of wood far outweighs the cons of maintaining it . And I'd be the guy who'd buy a beautiful rifle ( if I could afford it ! ) and use it in any conditions . I just love to use beautiful tools !

I'm not for a moment saying there's a right or a wrong , and I'm not interested in a bunfight , I just find it interesting what makes us all choose different setups and how we all justify them to ourselves !

For me it's the best I could afford at the time if times improve ill improve my kit I don't change my kit like some on here change as often as thier underpants ! I like practicle gear that's easy to maintain .i guess I have middle of the road gear untill the lotto comes in .
    ​norma

for me it has to be fit for purpose and be dependable. Don't really care what the "kool kidds" are wearing/using what matters is that it work well all the time.Every time! i don't feel bad when stuff fails as long as it has worked hard.

Andy7mm

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    It has to be as hard as nails and truly dependable.
    I have a SIG/SAUER SHR970, .308, plastic stock, teflon coated barrels, action and mag, Swaro Nova 3-12x56. A real workhorse and no I don't believe in swapping rifles often either. My last one was a Win mod70 Stealth that I had for about 12 years. It never let me down, even when the barrels got a bit hot during the Foot and Mouth
    ďMan surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.Ē........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    What's the most important thing to you on your stalking gear ?
    Me!!!

1st for me Accuracy as if pull the trigger i wish it to end PDQ.
    2nd has to be kiss as to scope no fuss just 3lines and maybe a dot now i'am getting on eyes better drawn to the light!.
    3rd the cost i try to have the best i can afford this would bring the above within the same ball park.
    4th looks no not fussed as long as it works for me. if i have a gun that cast 5k i'll still wrap tape round it and have done if it needs doing.
    5 th Quality when you think some old guns are still going at it and new ones on the market do't shoot for crap so 1,2,3 still apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    What's the most important thing to you on your stalking gear ? Durability ?
    Beauty ?
    Value ?
    Accuracy ?
    Quality ?

But to the man who bought a 2.5k blaser in a plastic stock what where your reasons ?

To the chap who buys a beautifully stocked sauer and takes it out onto a Scottish hill - why ?

And to those dedicated few who carry custom sniper rifles in ai stocks around on thier backs - what motivates you !

Personally the beauty and classic look of wood far outweighs the cons of maintaining it . And I'd be the guy who'd buy a beautiful rifle ( if I could afford it ! ) and use it in any conditions . I just love to use beautiful tools !

I'm not for a moment saying there's a right or a wrong , and I'm not interested in a bunfight , I just find it interesting what makes us all choose different setups and how we all justify them to ourselves !
    Last edited by paul o'; 12-06-2013 at 20:25.

Accuracy and durability are tops I am not interested in looks. I'm also not interested in what others like or dislike , I know what works for me.

although I do rag blaser owners just for sport (they always bite!)

Reliable and practical. Whilst i can afford a fancy rifle, mine are working tools. Synthetic stainless sako is my main working rifle with a SL5 moderator, harris bipod and a Swarovski Z6i scope.
    Extremely accurate with homeloads, very low maintenance, but most of all, I have total confidence in every shot i fire with it! Looks to me are unimportant!
    You can polish a turd which might make it look nice, but underneath it's still a piece of ****!
    MS

I got myself what I still consider to be the nicest wooded Sauer I have seen.

1 week after I got it a client got out the land rover and put a nice dent in the stock. I sold it a week later and got myself a synthetic R8.

Some time in the future I will get myself another lovely bit of wood that only I will use.

2 things stand out for me. The first is feel, a rifle needs to feel right from the moment I pick it up. The second thing is it needs to be accurate so that I'm 100% confident that when I pull the trigger what ever it is pointed at dies as quickly and humanely as possible.

I don't really care what it looks like as long as the above requirements are satisfied, but having said that I was lucky enough to pick up a new Sig SHR970 deluxe in 25-06 with beautiful wood that feels right in my hand and shoots very well for for under £850.

Rick
    Last edited by night stalker; 12-06-2013 at 21:54.