Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Illuminated or not Z6

Illuminated or not Z6

I've got a 3-12x50IL PA PM2, p3 reticule on my stalking rifle at the moment which I like a lot.

I had hoped to acquire another PM2 in the same format to replace the scope I have on my AR (mainly used for civillian service rifle and a few charlies) is a Nikon M223 which I bought from the USA last year and just haven't got on with (you get what you pay for etc etc).

Haven't been able to find a used PM2 with the right reticule for sensible money and it got me thinking that perhaps I should switch the scope of my deer rifle for something else and put the PM2 on the AR.

Z6 2.5-15x56 looks good bet. FOV, twilight factor and exit diameter are all good. Glass on the PM2 is great, this will be at least as good with the advantage of a 56mm OBj.

I probably wont bother with ballistic turrets as eal my shooting is <150 yards.

The question in my mind is whether the illuminated version is worthwhile. My PM2 is illuminated. I couldn't honestly event tell you whether the battery is any good though - I never use it. That should answer the question for me I guess. On the other hand, from a resale point of view I wonder whether it illuminated reticules are considered important (will I ever sell it? who knows, just worth throwing into the mix I think).

Reticule will be a 4A-I or 4A-300-I (I like the clearer site picture on the latter I think)

Anyone bought an 'I' and regretted it? how about the other way around?

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fcp View Post
    I've got a 3-12x50IL PA PM2, p3 reticule on my stalking rifle at the moment which I like a lot.

I had hoped to acquire another PM2 in the same format to replace the scope I have on my AR (mainly used for civillian service rifle and a few charlies) is a Nikon M223 which I bought from the USA last year and just haven't got on with (you get what you pay for etc etc).

Haven't been able to find a used PM2 with the right reticule for sensible money and it got me thinking that perhaps I should switch the scope of my deer rifle for something else and put the PM2 on the AR.

Z6 2.5-15x56 looks good bet. FOV, twilight factor and exit diameter are all good. Glass on the PM2 is great, this will be at least as good with the advantage of a 56mm OBj.

I probably wont bother with ballistic turrets as eal my shooting is <150 yards.

The question in my mind is whether the illuminated version is worthwhile. My PM2 is illuminated. I couldn't honestly event tell you whether the battery is any good though - I never use it. That should answer the question for me I guess. On the other hand, from a resale point of view I wonder whether it illuminated reticules are considered important (will I ever sell it? who knows, just worth throwing into the mix I think).

Reticule will be a 4A-I or 4A-300-I (I like the clearer site picture on the latter I think)

Anyone bought an 'I' and regretted it? how about the other way around?
    I have both, in the format you specify and one with BT, one without. I have regularly used the Z6 for foxing and it is rare, though not unheard of that I do lose the reticle in the sight picture. I like the 'i', but I find the binnacle clumsy. The firedot and the reticle are extremely fine indeed. I like having the firedot at last light, but if you can't see the reticle I do wonder whether there's enough light to shoot anyway. Depends on your budget. 3-12x50 PMII are less than a Z6 though, so your call. I don't think you'll regret buying one in either format - the glass is better than the Schmidt.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    I have both, in the format you specify and one with BT, one without. I have regularly used the Z6 for foxing and it is rare, though not unheard of that I do lose the reticle in the sight picture. I like the 'i', but I find the binnacle clumsy. The firedot and the reticle are extremely fine indeed. I like having the firedot at last light, but if you can't see the reticle I do wonder whether there's enough light to shoot anyway. Depends on your budget. 3-12x50 PMII are less than a Z6 though, so your call. I don't think you'll regret buying one in either format - the glass is better than the Schmidt.
    What about build quality? The PM2 is very substantial. Am I right that the Z6 is an aluminium body? I don't throw my kit around, but equally I have no doubts at all in that regard for the schmidt

I have just been through this, IMHO the Illum was worth the extra.
    The cross hairs are a lot finer than I was used to, one of the reasons for changing.
    I am yet to take mine lamping but I feel the cross hairs are so fine I will soon loose them.
    Also I find the dot draws my eye onto the target in daylight.

Very nice glass, but I am not 100% convinced it is holding zero.
    A bit more 'testing' to be done yet, just work and weather getting in the way.

SD Regular
    @ Nick

Nick, you're not a million miles away - if you want to compare like for like, let me know and we'll sort something out.

@fcp

I have no complaints on build quality. My rifles and scopes are tools of the trade, so while they are looked after, they are not cossetted. They hold up as well as anything else I have used and that includes PMII's.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Funny enough I have started asking question re scopes cos I am thinking of spending some money. I have a Meopta on my hunting rifle with ir. I up graded it from a Meopta without ir because I was out on a stalk and I lost the reticle before I lost the picture. If I had had the ir and the deer had come out I would have been able to take the shot. They didn't as it happened but heyho.
    and now I am looking for a good scope for my 223 and I would like ir just because if I use a lamp I think it will help that little bit. I do mainly NV stuff but it is nice to,cover all possibilities and if it gets me that one shot then it is worth it.
    and just to go off topic slightly I am interested in the top turret elevation click thing so you can distance and turn the elevation to the correct level. Forget what they call it.
    ​anyway interested to see what other answers come along.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by nick100 View Post
    I have just been through this, IMHO the Illum was worth the extra.
    The cross hairs are a lot finer than I was used to, one of the reasons for changing.
    I am yet to take mine lamping but I feel the cross hairs are so fine I will soon loose them.
    Also I find the dot draws my eye onto the target in daylight.

Very nice glass, but I am not 100% convinced it is holding zero.
    A bit more 'testing' to be done yet, just work and weather getting in the way.
    Definitely get the illuminated version. Not much more expensive but as the wires are so fine it's v good at moderateo low light.

My sight was returned to Swaroski as it was throwing rounds all over the place. Now fixed but the design flaw is seengly resolved in the mk2.

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post

My sight was returned to Swaroski as it was throwing rounds all over the place. Now fixed but the design flaw is seengly resolved in the mk2.
    That doesn't fill me with confidence to be honest - its not the first mention of reliability I've now read about either. I'm leaning back towards another PM2 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by fcp View Post
    That doesn't fill me with confidence to be honest - its not the first mention of reliability I've now read about either. I'm leaning back towards another PM2 I think.
    Same - I hear Swarovski customer service is second to none... I never hear amout S&B customer service because i've never heard of one going wrong!

I had a PM2 and never used the ILL RET,chopped it in for the Z6i you are quoting and always use the ILL RET,day and night!!.....they have a very fine RET which needs clarity in my opinion....and the Ill Ret is bound to hold more money for future deals as it will be more sought after.....