Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: labrador coat have you had this problem?

labrador coat have you had this problem?

Good morning chaps can someone help, one of my labs has developed what can only be described as an unpleasant coat, the dogs are kept outdoors and until about 2 months ago had really nice thick glossy coats, frontline and drontal used, changed food from high protein working crunch at end of season to lower protein chicken and rice,always had cod liver oil and raw beef bones, bedded on shredded newspaper, no other changes to environment or diet.

Took her to the vet and they sold me some shampoo containing Aloe Vera and gave me a bill of 45, it has made no difference.

The condition of her coat is worrying as it is very dull and she has started losing hair, there is a quite severe crusty outbreak along her back with alot of dandruff, she scratches sometimes but no sign of flea problem,

Apart from this she is a fit and happy dog, eating well, poo is normal and regular.

The other dogs run with her at exercise and so far seem unaffected.

Any advice, apart from obviously changing my vet, would be great.

I will be checking in everyday, hopefully advice incoming?

Thanks WB.

Not sure about the scabby bit mate unless she's scratching and irritating it, being a lab I'm sure she done some swimming during the season a lot of ponds seem to give dogs a good coat, I would add sardines to her diet I feed my dogs them at least twice a week they are only 50 p a tin give her some them get some oils in the coat, frontline and wormer doesn't kill everything, if ask for a dose of advocat if the fish doesn't help mate it's about 7.50 a dose from the vet tho but kills a lot of things.

Been anywhere near a mangy fox? Get the scabs tested ! Take a scrape and get it to a lab for analysis would be my cause of action .
    ​norma

Mange would be showing on the other dogs I'd dose with advocat before paying for a vet lab to analyse, could be mite or anything advocat kills most.

The dog needs further investigation. Some kind of mite or allergy would be very common. A proper skin work up need not cost a lot of money and will yield a lot of useful information.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

One of my labs had something similar a few years ago when we brought her in from the kennel, she started to moult really badly and get bald circles appearing on her, the vet told us the cause of it was the temperature change from being outside 24/7 to being in the house. We started to put some sardines in her feed and got tablets from the vets to stop her itching. I was later told that a part of the cause was due to insect bites she got while in the long grass aswell.

Stacey

I stopped using "Frontline" over a year ago, it just wasn't doing the job. I now use "Stronghold" and the difference in my Labradoodle was immediate, no more scratching or constant nibbling the fur, my GSD also seems to get along better.
    I spoke to a friend yesterday who said her vet had stopped using frontline as it seemed fleas etc were becoming immune to it.
    Good luck with your dog.

2p worth but work for us.
    it still could be a reaction to flea dirts in coat! . but it do's not mean dog has fleas . it looks like the coat its falling out on side or sides and a bit like what babys get on there heads or something like the dog is growing it back after an operation, try fish oil by way of some sprats in the food and one piriton tablet in a treat may help request a vet do's a scrape test to test you dog my old dog that i had would just salervate like mad after FL then we use SH on him and a good brushing each week took around 4 weeks but that sorted out

Quote Originally Posted by Lakies View Post
    Not sure about the scabby bit mate unless she's scratching and irritating it, being a lab I'm sure she done some swimming during the season a lot of ponds seem to give dogs a good coat, I would add sardines to her diet I feed my dogs them at least twice a week they are only 50 p a tin give her some them get some oils in the coat, frontline and wormer doesn't kill everything, if ask for a dose of advocat if the fish doesn't help mate it's about 7.50 a dose from the vet tho but kills a lot of things.
    You can buy a 75cl bottle in Tesco for about 12.00 . . .it might not help the itch, but it'l make your dog sing a grand song

Advocate***** lol