Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Stalking sticks

  1. #1
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Posts
    350

    Stalking sticks

    Anyone on here still make their own stalking sticks ? I cut a good 6'6" elder shank last autumn, very straight which is for me a rare find for elder of this length, light and and very strong, couldn't find another to go with it though. Peeled all but the top 12", stained the lower section. Handles really nicely but not telescopic !

  2. #2
    I go stalking so often having forgotten my sticks, that I purposefully leave a roll of electrical tape in the truck so when it happens next time I can cut another couple of hazel sticks and tape tem together 8" from the top. Very Cheap, quick and easy. I invariably lose them soon after and have to make another pair. I also have a pair of telescopic ones that I try to use all the time, but keep misplacing. Terrible!

  3. #3
    Oh yes!

    Every Christmas morning for the last 8 years I've headed off to a secret location and taken a long, sturdy and perfectly straight single holly stick for seasoning.

    My current “single stick” has been in use with no significant damage for 3 years so I probably now have enough spares to see me out!

    K

  4. #4
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeehorse View Post
    I go stalking so often having forgotten my sticks, that I purposefully leave a roll of electrical tape in the truck so when it happens next time I can cut another couple of hazel sticks and tape tem together 8" from the top. Very Cheap, quick and easy. I invariably lose them soon after and have to make another pair. I also have a pair of telescopic ones that I try to use all the time, but keep misplacing. Terrible!
    Yes, the big challenge with telescopic ones is reducing them to bipod length then leaving them somewhere, much prefer cut sticks !

  5. #5
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    perfectly straight single holly
    A stickmakers dream ... I've yet to find one ! Do you season and retain the bark, I have heard that it is difficult to, or do you just let it strip ?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Spix View Post
    A stickmakers dream ... I've yet to find one ! Do you season and retain the bark, I have heard that it is difficult to, or do you just let it strip ?
    This is going off thread already, sorry OP. However Spix, Holly is very easy to straighten once it's dried out. Steam at the bent bit over a kettle and then put it in a vice with the bend just out of the jaws and over bend it in the opposite direction. If you over bend it just enough it will spring back to perfectly straight. A little bit of practise and anyone can do it. Don't try it on green sticks though because it will go straight back to it's start position! Obviously I'm not talking about straightening a boomerang stick. The nearer to straight to start with the better!
    Last edited by baguio; 13-06-2013 at 19:17.

  7. #7
    get four bamboo sticks from from you local gardening shop cut at a little bit below shoulder height not much 2 to 3 inches will do. tie the tops of two together about 4 inches from the top. then repeat the process on the next two sticks . next place the two sets of sticks together open out on the ground till you get a V on both sets on the ground then tie the right legs together about a foot from the ground then repeat for the left legs/. last thing you will need is a foot of string to tie between the top V on each set depending on the lenght of your stock between trigger and barrell and then enjoy a fallow at 200 250 yards will test it out perfectly

  8. #8
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    This is going off thread already, sorry OP. However Spix, Holly is very easy to straighten once it's dried out. Steam at the bent bit over a kettle and then put it in a vice with the bend just out of the jaws and over bend it in the opposite direction. If you over bend it just enough it will spring back to perfectly straight. A little bit of practise and anyone can do it. Don't try it on green sticks though because it will go straight back to it's start position! Obviously I'm not talking about straightening a boomerang stick. The nearer to straight to start with the better!
    Kind apologies accepted but unnecessary ... I am the OP ... however I was asking specifically about the bark, on holly, which I've read is hard to retain. Do you manage to retain the bark on your seasoned holly shanks or does it just strip off ? Certainly agree that nearer to straight to start is best. Thanks, S

  9. #9
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Posts
    350
    jdevers ... This is one that I haven't tried and will do ; I grow black bamboo which should be perfect if I can get the right thickness, thanks, S

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Spix View Post
    Kind apologies accepted but unnecessary ... I am the OP ... however I was asking specifically about the bark, on holly, which I've read is hard to retain. Do you manage to retain the bark on your seasoned holly shanks or does it just strip off ? Certainly agree that nearer to straight to start is best. Thanks, S
    Sorry, So you are lol! Yes no problem with bark stripping at all. Maybe people have tried to season them too quickly? Mine get put in the eves of the garage and left there for a couple of years. They may be ready sooner but once you have a few there is no hurry as they last years and years. I lost my 'picking up' stick last year that was almost 20 years old and still had much of it's bark. It wasn't varnished or tarted up in any way!
    One thing to remember is that when you cut the stick do not trim the shoots off the shaft too short as they will split as the dry right into the shank. Been there, done that! My first sticks were all found to be ruined! I now leave each shoot at least an inch long and only trim them when I want to start working the stick.

    Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any queries.
    Last edited by baguio; 16-06-2013 at 19:14.

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale Sticks. Deer stalking sticks
    By remmy in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 08:51
  2. Best Stalking Sticks
    By 375 mag in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 29-01-2013, 14:42
  3. stalking sticks
    By amber243 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-01-2009, 09:12
  4. stalking sticks
    By amber243 in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-12-2008, 20:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •