Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead poisoning FACTS

Lead poisoning FACTS

ok before i start i know this will turn into a mess and i am sorry admin but i feel that all shooters should know this, all information in the post is fact and was used a uni paper i done on how fact and figures can be manipulted to suit anyones agenda.

first i will answer the question that people always ask and never get an answer or think they are right them i will go on and show the only proven case on an animal dying of lead posioning and will final show the point i am not touching with a barge pole ( a rough explaion of them but i am saying nothing).

Q: I have ate game shot with lead my whole life and i don't have lead poisoning?
    A: this is because the human liver can process the lead in your systeme and it comes out in your urine.

Q: I have never found a ....... that has died of lead posioning?
    A: thats Mr. Fox's job.

firstly how the lead gets in your systeme. When you swallow a piece of lead shot or a tiny fragment of lead the acid in your stomach, Most gastic acid in Hyrochloric and at body temp will dissolve a very small amount of lead. this is will be absorbed into your blood the same as man other base metals that your body needs.
    ok then your liver does it job and i come out in your urine. this does take time but due to the fact that the human body can only dissolve very small amounts it will never get to a dangerous level. why this never come up at the docters, is that they very rarely/never check for heavy metals in your systeme.

now the only proven case on any animal dying of lead poisoning is the California Condor (Gymnogyps californianus) i will wait while you all google it.

you could all read the papers if you wished but i will give you it in nut shell. The Condor is a vulture it eat 100% carrion, if you have seen them in africa on the tv
    you would have noticed that they start eating from the wound site. In animals shot this is where most of the lead fragment would be. also they do not chew just swallow large chunks and do this as fast as they can, before more turn up or it gets chased away.
    the second important fact is that the stomach acid has a lower ph than a humans (in this case it means that it is better a dissolving things such as lead), when it is in the blood the Condor's liver is basicly unable to process the lead and it stays in the systeme and builds up and up to harmful levels.

the problem with its liver affects many other animals such as many large fish and aquic mammals, Orca and dolphins are found with high level of heavy metals and DDT and other harmful chems. in these case it is passed up the food chain.

so in short are you every going to die from eating game shot with lead. NO

Things i an not going to answer but will point out some facts.

Spent lead shot in the water causing lead in the water. depends on the acidty of the water and a million other things

chance of a duck eating spent lead shot from the bottom of pond and beinf poisoned. to many varibles but a ducks stomach acid is not that low a ph as a vulture but lower than a human

lead pipes. to many varibles from water acidty and how much you really drink from the tap.

thank you very much for your time any questions just ask and again i am sorry admin if this causes a major backlash

Andy7mm

What a great way to kick off use of this...

Andy, good reading and let's see how this unfolds!

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Andy,
    I belive that we have bigger threat from copper(wilsons disease)than lead,sintered copper and copper fragment are more readily disolved by the gastric juices than lead. So much so that there are more people die from copper poisoning than lead poisoning.
    I think the latest research shows that the ratio is about 1 in 10,000 people get it.
    Wilsons is an inherited disease with approx 1 in 100,000 being carriers of it.Sufferers have to avoid copper from all sources including copper pipes,liver, chocolate etc.
    So the use of copper bullets is not going to alleviate any lead poisoning in humans, but will aggravate even further anyone who may have the wilsons gene..

News of the World,

i am not pro copper, i am pro choice.

I have never done any research wilsons disease, but you bring up a fair point.

as i said lead has no risk to humans but they may be a greater risk to other animals, but this is unproven and would be very diffcult to prove.

Andy7mm

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Can you tell us a little more about your university degree?
    I am curious.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Absolute total and utter poppyc0ck.

Lead may well be metabolised by the liver but its also has a clearly understood detrimental effect on several other organs as well as CNS effects.
    Its effect is cumulative and there are many cases of lead poisoning in the literature which I'm sure you discovered as part of your research. Acyl lead in petrol was almost certainly responsible for many deaths due to leads toxicity.

If you're going to discuss this subject I suggest you read about it and hope to hell I'm not marking your dissertation.....
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I have a MA in Economics and Accountancy, as i said in the first post the paper was to show how research done by a third party can be bent and twisted to suit the needs of anyone. i got RSPB paper that used this as its main info source and had to check if how the data was used by the RSPB was true to the orgin. i was given this at random and due to my interest in the subject matter did a bit more research into it as paper on the Condor was very well writen, for the life of me i can't remeber the name or who wrote it. the parts on liver function was provide by a friend who was studying bioolgy, i was informed about marine mammals by a girl that over heard us talking about the subject in the "library". i did follow this up with research but as with many things a fresh set of eyes can change an outlook.

Andy7mm

Limulus.

i am refering to the issues with lead shot not leaded petrol or dust/ particulate for engineering/chem process, which as you stated has caused many cases of lead poisoning.as with most posions ingestion is a poor delivery method

Andy7mm

I think there is a need to make some distinction here in order to assist this discussion. Andy is discussing the role of metallic lead which is pretty well nigh insoluble in human gastric juices. However, Limulus is discussing organic lead compounds, for example that in petrol which is TEL (tetraethyl lead) which, as an organic substance, is easily absorbed into the body, thence its poisoning effect. We should be careful not to confuse the two completely different states. As you are aware, lead in the form of TEL in petrol is no longer allowed in UK. I hope that this helps with the discussion.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeteL View Post
    I think there is a need to make some distinction here in order to assist this discussion. Andy is discussing the role of metallic lead which is pretty well nigh insoluble in human gastric juices. However, Limulus is discussing organic lead compounds, for example that in petrol which is TEL (tetraethyl lead) which, as an organic substance, is easily absorbed into the body, thence its poisoning effect. We should be careful not to confuse the two completely different states. As you are aware, lead in the form of TEL in petrol is no longer allowed in UK. I hope that this helps with the discussion.
    Peter
    Thank you PeteL