Illegal deer lamping/poaching

Has anyone tried putting out cutouts & cats eyes in the hedges?

Preferably on a target made out of a substance which makes the bullet bounce straight back in the direction it came from!:cool:
Now there's a gap in the market? Anyone got the number for Dragons Den?
MS

The roe around here have all but been cleaned up tracks through crops as late as a couple of weeks ago.
there is a network of roads and tracks so there is very little land that cannot be seen from a road or lane.
men in cammo and carring rifles have been seen by local lorry drivers at 4am actually walking along roads.

The wildlife watch brigade & police around here do a great job, usually pull ALL vans/ 4x4's out late , not of local address & check them over. Any suspect poachers are taken to the cells to inconvenience & All there goods confiscated. Then the suspects are released in the early hours or mid afternoon in white paper overalls & blue plastic slippers & sent for a long embarrassing walk home. The poaching in this part of Yorkshire has all but been eliminated, due to this.

Well done those involved :)

This makes me sick justifying these actions isn't ok in my book the police should still abide by PACE and the law they are not above it and it will never be justified they still need a reason to stop last time I looked and doing things for the inconvenience of any member of the public(no matter how bad, THEY THINK they are) is totally unlawful and any officer doing his should be sacked & if possible face criminal charges, totally out of order, if they want to stop poaching they sould operate within the law, not their interpretation of it when it suits them, we all moan about it when firearmsdepartments do it so what hypocrites that would make us if we condoned this action whatever the reason it's one rule for all or none & the laws poly to all.

Rant over, but police abuse of any kind makes my blood boil. And dose thm no good.

The wildlife watch brigade & police around here do a great job, usually pull ALL vans/ 4x4's out late , not of local address & check them over. Any suspect poachers are taken to the cells to inconvenience & All there goods confiscated. Then the suspects are released in the early hours or mid afternoon in white paper overalls & blue plastic slippers & sent for a long embarrassing walk home. The poaching in this part of Yorkshire has all but been eliminated, due to this.

Well done those involved :)

Last edited:
It looks good from my angle its nice to see it working in an area, I can't see why stopping and searching suspicious vehicles is an issue. Round here they are pretty good and the rural guys are very keen to stop most poaching

This makes me sick justifying these actions isn't ok in my book the police should still abide by PACE and the law they are not above it and it will never be justified they still need a reason to stop last time I looked and doing things for the inconvenience of any member of the public(no matter how bad, THEY THINK they are) is totally unlawful and any officer doing his should be sacked & if possible face criminal charges, totally out of order, if they want to stop poaching they sould operate within the law, not their interpretation of it when it suits them, we all moan about it when firearmsdepartments do it so what hypocrites that would make us if we condoned this action whatever the reason it's one rule for all or none & the laws poly to all.

Rant over, but police abuse of any kind makes my blood boil. And dose thm no good.

it is not only the poaching that has dramatically subsided, but farm theft in general , atv's, fuel , scrap & the list goes on. Why worry if you are not in the wrong ! ;)

The law is there for ALL not just whoever an individual or group think it should be aplied to!
it is not only the poaching that has dramatically subsided, but farm theft in general , atv's, fuel , scrap & the list goes on. Why worry if you are not in the wrong ! ;)

I fail to see the problem, if the police were breaking the law or abusing their powers, then you'd have a point - but clearly they DO have a power of arrest where they genuinely suspect people of an offence, and they DO have a power to seize things for forensic examination, all strictly 100% in accordance with the law - like everything they can do it by the book, or you can shrug their shoulders and say 'oh well, we suspect them of criminal behaviour but can't prove it, so let them on their way'.

I for one am glad that they are at last choosing to apply the law without fear or favour, and that they are fulfilling the very ethos of Peel's principles, that the basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder - not to catch offenders, but to actively prevent crimes from happening by ruthlessly interdicting criminal behaviour.

All very emotive stuff from you here. Your blood is boiling, you are sick, total abuse of power, calling for the cops involved to face the sack and legal action.
Perhaps if you switched off your anti police default setting and looked at the circumstances, you will find that the seizure of clothing and vehicles ect are all perfectly legal!
Most on here would welcome such a stance being taken by officers who police their areas.

So not poaching but taking within the hours of darkness without a license. Never understood why it is a crime to shoot deer on your own land at night, we allow foxing with the same calibre,s, so not for safety. I suppose it goes back to keeping the surfs in there place, and the deer for the upperclassman.

Well lets hope it is a wind up because if it isn't it just shows the total gormless ignorance of some people who have no understanding of the species and are still in a position to shoot deer. Suggest if anybody doesn't understand why it's illegal they make it their business to find out!

On another note there is no reason why the Police should not stop and search suspect people/vehicles, if they have nothing to hide they have nothing to fear but just a little inconvenience of giving up a few moments of their time to assist the authorities in catching these criminals before someone is killed. One day these poachers/lampers will cause a serious incident . . . it's 'no' accident waiting to happen.

As for the fox shooters, and I point a finger to many in my area not to those necessarily on this forum, a few of them seem to be a few crumbs short of a biscuit and God only knows how they ever managed to get a firearms licence! But, they are also responsible for a lot of the lamping and poaching from sheer bloody ignorance and greed.

None of us like regulation but as a sport and an industry shooting does not do itself any favours to avoid it, if we want to stay relatively unregulated we need to encourage and educate some among us to toe the line and be responsible. . . if they won't turn them in.

​Ask yourself whether you want shooting just for today or for tomorrow as well?

I saw a crafty one last year on Haldon near Exeter, I was waiting in my car for it to get light, looked across the valley to a neighbouring farm (deer haven, shooting banned) and there weren't any deer to be made out on the grass (very unusual), so eventually it was light enough and I started my stalk, 10 mins later I hear a quad start up on the other farm (shooting allowed) and I watched him drive across the field to pick up 2 fallow deer, now the only way he could have shot them is with the lamp (or night vision kit) and waited for it to get light so it looked all legal, very difficult to prove unless the police camped out!
Cheers
Richard

Well lets hope it is a wind up because if it isn't it just shows the total gormless ignorance of some people who have no understanding of the species and are still in a position to shoot deer. Suggest if anybody doesn't understand why it's illegal they make it their business to find out! On another note there is no reason why the Police should not stop and search suspect people/vehicles, if they have nothing to hide they have nothing to fear but just a little inconvenience of giving up a few moments of their time to assist the authorities in catching these criminals before someone is killed. One day these poachers/lampers will cause a serious incident . . . it's 'no' accident waiting to happen. As for the fox shooters, and I point a finger to many in my area not to those necessarily on this forum, a few of them seem to be a few crumbs short of a biscuit and God only knows how they ever managed to get a firearms licence! But, they are also responsible for a lot of the lamping and poaching from sheer bloody ignorance and greed. None of us like regulation but as a sport and an industry shooting does not do itself any favours to avoid it, if we want to stay relatively unregulated we need to encourage and educate some among us to toe the line and be responsible. . . if they won't turn them in. ​Ask yourself whether you want shooting just for today or for tomorrow as well?

Well deer man it just goes to show how ignorant you are and how bigoted you are in you views, deer are no different to any other species who present themselves as a nuisance species. The understanding that a land owner cannot protect a crop from damage without jumping through loops is a mystery to many landowners. As to me personally I know the law but not the logical reason behind it so perhaps you can explain to this gormless idiot and many landowners the reason.

Well deer man it just goes to show how ignorant you are and how bigoted you are in you views, deer are no different to any other species who present themselves as a nuisance species. The understanding that a land owner cannot protect a crop from damage without jumping through loops is a mystery to many landowners. As to me personally I know the law but not the logical reason behind it so perhaps you can explain to this gormless idiot and many landowners the reason.

That's right destroy anything that's a nuisance and in your way irrespective of the right or wrong way. Not quite sure who the bigot is around here?

And as I'm sure you are obviously not a gormless idiot you'll be quite capable of researching your own answer, far better to learn from your own efforts than the hearsay of others who maybe ignorant.

Obviously you don,t know the answer:doh:, as to destroying anything that is a nuisance, you are correct I put down rat poison today, but I don,t shoot pigeon at this time of yr as they may have young in the nest, but I don,t condemn shooters doing it for crop damage,or the fox shooters protecting there birds, when there may be cubs below ground, I may have been involved with culling deer at night causing massive crop damage after all other methods have been tried. But I do not look on deer through rose tinted spectacles as some animal that is to be treated with greater respect than other animals, I prefer to treat all animals with the same respect

if they have nothing to hide they have nothing to fear

This is just the attitude that leads to totalitarian system and police state. As CWMMAN3738 said you should think about the laws and exercising of them from all the perspectives.

There's a lot of examples where you're abiding the law but would still like to protect your privacy. In fact the whole western society is based upon the principle of protecting one's privacy and other civil/human rights...

seewith the lack of employment here poaching was never as bad, was at a meeting last week and someone proposed that when you sell the deer you will have to give your tax number/ social security number, and your dole will be docked, good idea, might stop people making money illegally.Also might protect the species.

We get a fair bit of illegal night shooting and lamping in this part of the world although dog men have significantly reduced.
It is mostly nuisance value potting them off the roadsides rather than devastating deer numbers.
There are a number of laws available and records should be kept of all persons weighing deer in, but sadly as we have all seen there are plenty of lax game dealers who don't ask questions.
The local Police have actually been very good in responding but the officers involved have been clueless about tactics and methods used by the poachers so the only realistic chance of a result is down to a random traffic stop.
I have been stopped myself many, many times while out at odd hours on legitimate business and have no issue with random stops. Better that inconvenience than finding your vehicle, quad, dogs, heating oil etc. have been spirited away in the night by some thieving toerag whose Rights to privacy and freedom from harrasement were respected.

I can think of more than one "legitimate" lamper who might have had problems with the contents of their pick up too.

Hill mouse your wrong(IMO) this " Better that inconvenience than finding your vehicle, quad, dogs, heating oil etc. have been spirited away in the night by some thieving toerag whose Rights to privacy and freedom from harrasement were respected." is the next step to wards the end of justice next you'll be saying that it's NOT "better that ten guilty men go free than 1 innocent man is jailed" it's the same principle and it's in no way acceptable if we are to preserve freedom & justice for ALL. The officers who do this are no less guilty of a crime than those who have committed a crime of speeding or poaching it's still a crime untill our laws are changed.

Cwnman is that the same principle the police use when investigating complaints against themselves.

CWMMAN3738 - Under the deer act 1991, the police may stop and search any person, vehicle, animals and any premises apert from a private dwelling house, if it is suspected of containing evidence under the act.

(Quite useful this DSC1 learning pack!)

No matter where you are in the world the first rule of game management is "the landowners objectives come first". Fail to ignore this & the outcome for the game species is usually poor. If land owners there are allowing spotlighting for deer to occur then one must ask, why? Have the deer become pests instead of an asset, again why?

Make the deer valuable to those who have tenure over the land & they will manage them wisely. It's pretty simple!

​Cheers Sharkey

Back