Thread: Trip to Turkey

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at

Trip to Turkey

Anyone been in south eastern Turkey recently ? I've been hoping to return, that's Adana south and east to Antakya, but with current situation in Syria wife's not keen, pity as it's a very beautiful place

Hi Spix, two weeks ago we were at Latoonia and Fetyia. All the locals very friendly. Spoke to a lot in the Markes, taxis etc. They were all saying the trouble in the capital was very localised and not really affected by the Syrian crises there.

We visit Kalkan which is a bit further West practically every year & have a good number of Turkish friends there, we are off again August 30th for 2 weeks & they have said no worries as trouble in the South East is very localised but I was sent this link & Antakya might not be the best place to visit right now.

How Syria's war helped to inspire Turkey protests | Syria Turkey | SBS World News

Cheers
    Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

I am in Antalya at the moment and if it wasn't for the iPad I would have been blissfully unaware of the entire situation. I wouldn't worry if I were you , it isn't affecting the coastal tourism areas.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    Hi Spix, two weeks ago we were at Latoonia and Fetyia. All the locals very friendly. Spoke to a lot in the Markes, taxis etc. They were all saying the trouble in the capital was very localised and not really affected by the Syrian crises there.
    Thanks, techman, I was appreciate it's a different world in north and western Turkey, was asking specifically about the south-eastern corner. S

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rob View Post
    We visit Kalkan which is a bit further West practically every year & have a good number of Turkish friends there, we are off again August 30th for 2 weeks & they have said no worries as trouble in the South East is very localised but I was sent this link & Antakya might not be the best place to visit right now.

How Syria's war helped to inspire Turkey protests | Syria Turkey | SBS World News

Cheers
    Chris
    Thanks, Chris, hadn't seen that one

Regular Poster
    Antalya is lovely but it's hundreds of miles west from where we go. Hatay (Antakya) is about 25km from the Syrian border. Anybody been down there recently ?