Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a good 22 rimfire semi auto please.

Advice on a good 22 rimfire semi auto please.

I at present have a CZ 22 rimfire bolt action with a varmint barrel which has served me well but I am now looking to up grade and quite like the idea of a semi auto but would like some advice on which to choose. My use tends to be shooting rabbits etc with subsonic ammo and I have a budget of about 800.

Appreciate bryn
    Last edited by bryn; 14-06-2013 at 08:12.

stick with the cz bolt if i were you. what are you planning to upgrade? accuracy, reliability asthetics?

I suppose upgrade is the wrong word it should be I fancy a change. My concern is, that being a semi auto, accuracy would be compromised as compared with a bolt action. I have no complaints with the CZ it is a very good and reliable piece of kit.
    bryn

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
    Your choices are rather limited in the semi auto section, I'm afraid.
    I use a semi auto Anschutz model 525 and it has served me reasonably well. I think it cost me 120. It has a straight type magazine which is miles better than the weird Ruger 10/22 ones. It is not as accurate as a bolt action CZ should be (but more accurate than a Ruger 10/22 usually is) and is a bit ammo sensitive......doesn't cycle well with certain brands. RWS and Winchester subsonics work fine though.
    I wouldn't consider a semi auto to be an upgrade if you are only shooting rabbits, I bought the Anschutz for foxes and I find it useful to have a quick extra shot or two - especially when dealing with cubs. If you're head shooting rabbits I would make accuracy the priority.

Having had several .22 semi autos I finally found one that covers all the bases for bunnie bashing it has never jammed(10shot mag)after 0,000's of rounds is accurate, easy from vehicle, mines cut right down to 12" with mod it's real easy & light and well within your budget new, even more surprisingly it's a browning!
    go try a browning Buckmark it's the easiest to use I've had & I never clean it, and it never fails.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

I've had a Magtech one..................................very basic but served me well
    A Ruger 10/22 but I found that the dust from stubbles when I was lamping led to magazine feed issues
    And my favourite was a heavy barrelled Marlin with a rubberised stock which served me really well and I do regret parting with.It cycled anything I put through it and was very accurate.Even better a mate who was giving up keepering gave it to me as a present.

CZ 512 not bad looking, accurate for a rimfire, just need to get the trigger lightened up a bit.

Have you had a look at what's on offer here?

Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts. Much for me to contemplate.
    bryn

Quote Originally Posted by CWMMAN3738 View Post
    Having had several .22 semi autos I finally found one that covers all the bases for bunnie bashing it has never jammed(10shot mag)after 0,000's of rounds is accurate, easy from vehicle, mines cut right down to 12" with mod it's real easy & light and well within your budget new, even more surprisingly it's a browning!
    go try a browning Buckmark it's the easiest to use I've had & I never clean it, and it never fails.
    yep, bloody brilliant. Get it cut down, sak mod, eley subs, quick detach mounts (needed for cleaning) dont bother with th bolt action anymore. 2x 10 round mags, extra mags are cheap as well - and made of metal