Thread: Winchester 42max subsonic .22's

Winchester 42max subsonic .22's

Anybody tried the new 42 grain winchester subs, or know who's got them in stock? Not heard much about them in the UK.

I've not heard much about them at all apart from seeing them on last weeks fieldsports Britain. Personally I don't really see the need to change, 40gr subs do the job for bunny bashing, it you need some more bang then hyper velocity also do the job. That's only my opinion though.

Been told that they probably won't be available in Europe...

I will venture a guess that this the same 42 grain bullet used in Winchester's long-discontinued "Super Silhouette" ammunition. It has a porpoise-nosed profile and actually flew very well for a .22LR. My guess is that they slowed it down 125 fps and re invented it. Just a guess though. I haven't seen any in person. MidwayUSA lists it but it's not available at this time, I'm told. At $53/500 + shipping it may be a hard sell.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I will venture a guess that this the same 42 grain bullet used in Winchester's long-discontinued "Super Silhouette" ammunition. It has a porpoise-nosed profile and actually flew very well for a .22LR. My guess is that they slowed it down 125 fps and re invented it. Just a guess though. I haven't seen any in person. MidwayUSA lists it but it's not available at this time, I'm told. At $53/500 + shipping it may be a hard sell.~Muir
    Youre probably right Muir, they've got em in oz and New Zealand as they're manufactured in the oz factory. Doesn't seem they're exporting them elsewhere yet though. They look like a good product from reports I've read though so I was hoping to try em out. Maybe we'll get em eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbasher View Post
    Youre probably right Muir, they've got em in oz and New Zealand as they're manufactured in the oz factory. Doesn't seem they're exporting them elsewhere yet though. They look like a good product from reports I've read though so I was hoping to try em out. Maybe we'll get em eventually.
    Interesting. I wish they would just make the Super Silhouette ammunition again and brand it for hunting. I shot 100M NRA Metallic Silhouette competition using it from my Model 52 Winchester and it was amazing. It had less drop at 100 then the CCI "Green Tag" I had been using and enough umph to knock over the 100M steel target with a marginal hit. When they quit making it I bought 1000 rounds. I have several hundred left that I've been hording for these past 20 years. They shoot very well from my Brno#1 hunting rifle. I'd like to try the subs...~Muir