Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawrence Precision Moderator Test

Thumbs up Lawrence Precision Moderator Test

A few weeks ago I was contacted by Simon Lawrence of Lawrence Precision and was invited to witness a sound test and review of moderators, including the new 'Zodiac' model at the Corinium Rifle Range near Cirencester. The comparison was to be conducted by Paul Hill, the owner of the range, and was intended to compare some of the more popular moderators on the market against the recently revised range of Lawrence Precision Titanium products, taking into account sound attenuation and weight.

As some of you are no doubt aware, I have used a LP moderator on my .30-06 for the last two years and have been very pleased with it so I suppose the results didn't come as too much of a surprise to me however here is a summary of what we found!

On test were (all .30 cal):

• Ase utra Northstar Stainless Steel
    • ASE utra Jet Z Carbon Steel
    • Latest uprated Lawrence Precision Nexus Titanium
    • Latest uprated Lawrence precision Eclipse Titanium
    • Brand New model Lawrence Precision Zodiac Titanium

Weight , lightest first

1. Nexus 390 grams
    2. Eclipse 420 grams
    3. Zodiac 460 grams
    4. Ase Jet Z 570 grams
    5. Ase North star 700 grams

Noise attenuation quietest first

1. ZODIAC, strikingly so!
    2. Eclipse
    3. Ase jet Z ( published 28-32 dba reduction) New Nexus (Similar)
    4. Ase Northstar ( published 25-26 dba)

Size largest first

1. Northstar , Eclipse Zodiac ( all similar)
    2. Nexus Ase Jet Z ( similar in diameter, nexus 65mm longer )

While the steel versions perform well and have their place in the market, all the tested Lawrence precision moderators were lighter, smaller and quieter in general than the other brands on test, the new Zodiac standing out as being exceptional.

As has already been discussed at length on here, Titanium does come at a cost, however if you can see past just cost you can reap the benefits of weight saving, an almost indefinite service life and pretty much zero maintenance.

You can read the full review here on Paul's site here: Signs of the Zodiac | coriniumrange

I'd also like to add that if anyone in the Cirencester area needs access to a tidy 100 yard range then they could do a lot worse than contacting Paul (HME) on here. He has a good set up ideally suited for the stalker/load developer and is a thoroughly helpful and knowledgeable chap, even if he is a Blaser fanboy!

Alex
    Last edited by csl; 14-06-2013 at 23:43. Reason: add video

Interesting you compare them with the heavier offerings, the sl5 stainless comes in at 390-430g. What happened to the noise meter readings, would have been interesting to see how they compared.

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    Interesting you compare them with the heavier offerings, the sl5 stainless comes in at 390-430g. What happened to the noise meter readings, would have been interesting to see how they compared.
    Agreed, have a read of Paul's report. We did everything we could to take readings but didn't have the right equipment so had to use our ears in the end. I even videoed it too but the wind noise makes it impossible to tell so the footage isn't much help either.

Too bad, but rapidly coming to the conclusion that without professional equipment the only way to truly convey the difference between bangs to people is to get them to stand there and listen for themselves, one then the other, side by side.

Hopefully it will be possible to do something similar at an event where people can hear for themselves, but in the mean time you'll just have to take our word for it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Agreed, have a read of Paul's report. We did everything we could to take readings but didn't have the right equipment so had to use our ears in the end. I even videoed it too but the wind noise makes it impossible to tell so the footage isn't much help either.

Too bad, but rapidly coming to the conclusion that without professional equipment the only way to truly convey the difference between bangs to people is to get them to stand there and listen for themselves, one then the other, side by side.

Hopefully it will be possible to do something similar at an event where people can hear for themselves, but in the mean time you'll just have to take our word for it I guess.

​If you do it again i can probably arrange for an acoustic consultant to attend with the correct equipment.

CAn Only speak very highly of Paul's set up at Cirencester been there using his rarange to set
    Up a few rifles etc
    also bought merchandise from him and he's straight as a die
    I would certainly be interested in a day comparing mods in what ever format you see fit

Alex nothing wrong with being a Blaser fatboy I mean fanboy Regards pete

I have had a JetZ and the JetZ compact version. Both were perfectly serviceable, but on my heavy barrelled Remington 700 fitted with the JetZ, the point of balance was so far forward it made the rifle

very difficult to handle, particularly in/out of highseats or towers.

My Steyr Pro Hunter was fitted with the JetZ compact version which was a little shorter but still heavy, and made the weapon awkward, so when I got the chance to buy an Eclipse from Simon, I did.

There is a difference in sound attenuation in favour of the Eclipse in my opinion, but the overall handling of the rifle has been transformed by the lighter material used in the suppressor.

I would not go back to anything else having had the Titanium. I also have made the decision that should I move on from the Steyr, the Lawrence Precision Eclipse will NOT be sold on but kept for my next

rifle. I also appreciate the fact that I've met the man who made it, and have his phone number - and he's in the UK. This matters to me, and I'm willing to pay a little bit more for that.

Also, if I drop it or damage it somehow, I can ring, call in, post or drop off this item to Simon, and not have to wonder where it is or who has it, or when it'll be back - it's with the man who made it.

Accurately recording the sound pressure level of a short duration impulse noise such as a rifle shot is not easy and requires the right gear. I recently had a rather lengthy exchange with someone who believed (and published) that the readings he was getting on a cheap meter of much less than 100dB(A) were accurate for a rifle shot at the position of the shooter. I have had several similar discussions with others over the years.

So, well done to those involved for being aware of the problem and for discarding the data.

If you wish to accurately record the maximum SPL of a gunshot you need a very fast meter that doesn't try to integrate or average and these are not commonly available, the whole chain also needs excellent high frequency response.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

unless you have the proper stuff to measure the noise i cant see how its a fair test to be fair.

Agree with Jay 22 apart from the weight and length the rest of the review is worthless. And is should not be listed as a viable or conclusive test.

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    unless you have the proper stuff to measure the noise i cant see how its a fair test to be fair.
    Seems fair to me, a group of peole stand around and actually listen to the same rifles bing fired with a group of different moderators.
    Doen't matter what a meter says, you don't have one hard wired into your system, so just like everybody else you have to rely on the old mark 1 ears.

Neil.