Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not rifles, but Teague choking

Not rifles, but Teague choking

Pondering getting a gun of mine modified by Teague for multi chokes.
    The reason I bought this gun was that I much preferred the feel of the fixed choke barrels, having tried the big multi choke sporters previously.
    It's a tightly choked gun (3/4 & full), and 32" barrels, a Miroku MK60. I shoot well with the gun, but realistically for the majority of clays game I shoot it's probably too tight, even with lighter loads. Considering the options of having the chokings reduced or fitting multis.
    Now, I know Teague says the balance will remain unaffected, but wondering if anyone has experience of a fixed choke gun which has had Teague chokes fitted, and how they felt the balance was affected if at all.

I know loads of guys with Teague chokes and they are universally delighted with them. Get it done. He had a side by side of mine last week which didn't shoot straight - yes actually true, not my mounting or anything. Made a great job. Great service.

I've had a couple done both miroku s one a thirty, one a thirty two didn't change the balance and the job was first class . You won't regret it.

Teague chokes are very good but why change! i also shoot 3/4 - full at everything inc skeet and english, my 687 30" is multi but never changed chokes as its not broken

I had my MK80 Teague choked a couple of years ago. Absolutely no change to balance, and a very neat job indeed by Nigel.

I had an AYA No 2 with 26" barrels choked by Nigel Teague, Initially they were 'protruding chokes with a milled end for ease of extraction.
    The job made no difference to the balance but attracted a lot of interest from people who saw them as they deviated from the norm for an AYA No 2.
    Eventually I had the chokes replaced with a set flush with the end of the barrels and it was not only a very neat job, all the chokes 'worked' and it not only made the shotgun look 'normal' but made no difference to balance, swing or my shooting ;-)

I have a Miroku MK38 32" Trap F/C which was converted to M/C with Teague long chokes and no balance shift at all but big difference on the pattern plate. Good consistency and patterning.

Supposedly makes the gun much more versatile for switching between clays and game, but I tend to stick with 3/8ths & 5/8ths for most of my shooting nowadays, never been much of a meddler and can't be arsed thinking about what chokes to use so stick with the same for everything. It's hard enough working out lead for the tall birds without adding choking into the mix.. Keeping it Simple and all that

Probably notice a difference if I was shooting like Digweed but I'm not that good

Quote Originally Posted by rigboot View Post
    I have a Miroku MK38 32" Trap F/C which was converted to M/C with Teague long chokes and no balance shift at all but big difference on the pattern plate. Good consistency and patterning.

Supposedly makes the gun much more versatile for switching between clays and game, but I tend to stick with 3/8ths & 5/8ths for most of my shooting nowadays, never been much of a meddler and can't be arsed thinking about what chokes to use so stick with the same for everything. It's hard enough working out lead for the tall birds without adding choking into the mix.. Keeping it Simple and all that

Probably notice a difference if I was shooting like Digweed but I'm not that good
    spot on 3/8 and 5/8 for everything which in lay mans terms = tight quarter and tight half
    just match your cartridges to your target
    ​regards pete

Hmmmmm... as for "why change", good point, just to add versatility really. I really like the quicker handling of the fixed choke 32" barrels, but it would be nice to have the option to use more open chokes sometimes, rather than having them permanently eased. Having said that, I'm not much of a meddler either; it could just be that I wasn't up to the mark on a particular day that set me to thinking some more open chokes would have made up for my poor shooting.
    It's nice to hear so much positive and nowt negative about Teagues work, and that everyone feels balance is not impacted upon. At least that set my mind at rest should I decide to go for getting the work done.

go for it! nigel's work is superb. he's done both my trap guns, as they handle much better than factory multi-choked sporters. plus, your chokes will be true to the bore of your gun which is what you want.

i only know of a couple of very good shots who shoot fixed 3/4 and full. most of the guys won't shoot more than 5/8 and it's commonly accepted that with the exception of fast trap targets, half choke will break anything you'll come across. digweed doesn't even shoot as tight as half choke and he's pretty good......