Hmr hollow points

Squirrelbasher

Everybody I know seems to use ballistic tipped bullets exclusively in their .17's. I thought I'd try some cci tnt hollow points to see how they perform. Over the chroni at 2640 fps they were slightly faster than the hornady's I've been using. Anyway, they seem to be less damaging on rabbits so ill carry on with these for a while, see how they turn out by comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 65
I used the Hornady 20gr HP and found they weren't expanding enough on rabbits - good from the lack of meat damage - bad from the run on point of view. I now tend to use them on fox.

I used the Hornady 20gr HP and found they weren't expanding enough on rabbits - good from the lack of meat damage - bad from the run on point of view. I now tend to use them on fox.

How do you find them on fox, are they any better in the wind than the 17gn?

Better BC, better in wind and seem to knock them over a little better - still have reservations for HMR on fox though.

I agree, its not what I would reach for if I were going out just for fox, but its nice to have the option if the right opportunity and circumstances permit it

they don't expand enough IMO
if they cause runners on rabbits I cant see them being any different on foxes

With foxes i find that the 17g BT's will do the business every time with head shots and usually drop them with a heart shot but if you hit a major bone as in shoulder etc the bullet seems to break up under the skin without much penetration,normally drops 'em but requires another round to finish the job.
With Hornady 20g hollow points i find they will pass through the fleshy parts without really setting up and they will run on( furthest i've had one run on is about 35yds with an engine room shot) but so far the 20g's have always dropped the fox if i've pinned it in the shoulder.
Having said the above i think you have to be realistic,the HMR is what it is,it's a 17g round, it's bound to be affected by the wind and shot placement has to be spot on

Last edited:
Back