Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbits comming in the garden, would an air rifle kill them at 30/40yards

Rabbits comming in the garden, would an air rifle kill them at 30/40yards

What do you guys suggest, also what make should i look out for, being able to fit a scope would be important.
    What would you suggest in the secondhand market, i dont want a topend bit of kit to shoot the odd rabbit in the garden
    Many thanks in advance
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

With practice 30-40 yards should be no problem, it's shot placement that counts, second hand have a look at Air arms s410/310 or if you want a springer Hw 80/77.

Should be fine as long as you head shoot them just practice at that range and you should be good to go

If I was you, I would pop down to local gun shop as the selection is quite varied.
    Most modern air rifles are accurate and can fit your requirements, its down to cash you want to spend.

+1 for the Air Arms S410. I have one (which I am thinking of getting rid of) that will put 1 pellet on top of another. I also had a Theoben Rapid 12 but believe the S410 was more accurate.
    If at first you don't succeed, reload

A sub 12ft/lb air rifle would have no difficulty at all retaining enough energy to kill a rabbit at that distance.
    As previously mentioned its is all down to shot placement.
    The pre charged air rifles can be very accurate but you will need to budget for a pump or air tank. A second hand outfit can be bought for around 350 but there are bargains to be had.
    Worth remembering that air rifles are pellet fussy and at that distance the wrong brand/type of pellet will result in a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    What do you guys suggest, also what make should i look out for, being able to fit a scope would be important.
    What would you suggest in the secondhand market, i dont want a topend bit of kit to shoot the odd rabbit in the garden
    Many thanks in advance
    get a springer - a PCP will need a bottle or pump where a springer you just need a tin of pellets! I would look for a HW77 or an AA TX200 - the best two springers and will easily drop bunnies at 40yds.

Any decent springer of most any vintage, will be sufficiently humane at the ranges you state, either .22 or .177, once you have a range of pellets, try shooting cotton bobbin sized targets, once you are happy with your shooting, let rip.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

You could also consider a fully moderated .410 shotgun, a buddy has one that you only hear the hammer drop & the breaking of the action!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    Many thanks in advance
    On the one hand an air rifle would kill them if you hit them in the right spot.
    On the other hand a .50 machine gun wouldn't kill them if you miss