Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mackerel fishing?

Mackerel fishing?

Hi there

I have purchased an inflateable rib with an outboard motor and fancied a spot of mackerel fishing.

Does anyone know the best time of year to go, I'm thinking of Filey, Robinhoods bay Lincolnshire coast area?

any advice welcomed

Many thanks
    Seeker

Think August is a good time for Filey.

Lincolnshire doesn't see many mackerel...stay further north or pop over to Norfolk.

I don't know too much about mackerel up north. But down here. If you get say two days of calm the mackerel will shoal up quick! Get your self a fish finder too! It will save a lot of guessing. But don't use it to find "fish". Use it to find features in the water. Take different kinds of feather sets too. If you not getting hooked up on one set try a different one.

Some time I find the mackrel will only hit one hook. So I change all the hooks to that one pattern.

Go on call me Gready!

​ Good luck tight lines.
    Last edited by Simjim33; 18-06-2013 at 07:37.

Drowning always happens to other people. Buy and use the best lifejacket possible. That means pay more than you think you can afford. Apologies for being a boring old fart but here in Ireland we have a very high rate of drowning tragedies relative to our size. Three brothers in their fourties drowned this week hauling lobster pots.
    I loved mackerel fishing when I was a kid - the old man stuck us in what he called Board of Trade lifejackets which were WW II surplus I reckon. Big kapok jobs that meant you couldn't see your feet.

Enjoy the fishing
    Ion

Thanks for the info, really useful

Ion I take on board the safety tips, I have some old life jackets but think I will renew these with new and maybe buy a couple of flares just in case.

Really looking forward to it and August sounds like the right time to go.

Simjimm what do you mean by using a fish finder to find features how do these work, never used one?

What inflatable have you got? When i was based at Manston in Kent, i bought a zodiac and an outboard, think it was 3.1m which sounds big, but it wasnt! Pretty ok for 2 people fishing, we used to go out and catch bass round the coast, until one day a bass was dropped inside the boat, flapping about it punctured one of the tubes! Luckily we had a pump and carried on fishing, not long after that, i upgraded to a bonwitco..

If i lived nearer the coast now i would definitely have a rib/kayak or boat.. I had a fish finder on the rib too..

it may well be worth buying a backup outboard also , trust me it is scary when your only engine packs up and your drifting aimlessly , enjoy it but dont leave thing to chance,tight lines!

Here she is, it's got a 10hp outboard and there's only two of us me and Hornet off here, wish us luck

Quote Originally Posted by The Seeker View Post
    Hi there

I have purchased an inflateable rib with an outboard motor and fancied a spot of mackerel fishing.

Does anyone know the best time of year to go, I'm thinking of Filey, Robinhoods bay Lincolnshire coast area?

any advice welcomed

Many thanks
    Seeker
    they are being caught in the forth at the moment. Watch for seabirds - go where they are fishing.