Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest Salt Licks

Cheapest Salt Licks

Contemplating putting up a couple salt licks, just wondering what's the best way to put them up ... and the best ones to get.

I have seen some range from 6 - 60 , seems a bit steap . Hopefully somewhere I can pop locally and just pick up 3-4 of them ?

Deer I am hoping to attract are Fallow, cheers

I got a lot of info when I posted on the same topic. General consensus seemed to be start with whatever you can buy in your local agri hardware. Sheep are sensitive to copper so only buy sheep specific if there is a risk of harming someone else's pedigree/rare/ and above all expensive sheep. (they always are when somebody is claiming off my local hunt !)
    When I get to the end of my stock of rumevite deer licks I will certainly be using Red Rockies for Fallow, as much for reasons of portability as palatability.
    Ion

Quote Originally Posted by ion View Post
    I got a lot of info when I posted on the same topic. General consensus seemed to be start with whatever you can buy in your local agri hardware. Sheep are sensitive to copper so only buy sheep specific if there is a risk of harming someone else's pedigree/rare/ and above all expensive sheep. (they always are when somebody is claiming off my local hunt !)
    When I get to the end of my stock of rumevite deer licks I will certainly be using Red Rockies for Fallow, as much for reasons of portability as palatability.
    Ion
    Whats the best way to stick em up mate ?

KNZ deer licks work well.

I bought general salt/mineral licks from Jollyes Pet stores. Less than 4 and about the size of a house brick. I then used a coach bolt and screwed it directly onto a tree.

Anyone had any joy with licks for Muntjac?

Over here in Norway, we just find a nice little pine tree and cut it to make it fit the stone, we've got some that we've been using for close over 5 years and they're still going strong. We always situate them close to water.

Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

I buy mine form the local agriculture store, I also buy molasses there. I put my blocks on a flat topped pyramid I made, this way the lick melts but runs down the sides of the pyramid to last longer. I've also just tied them to a leaning tree so they can run down the bark

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaras View Post
    Anyone had any joy with licks for Muntjac?
    I don't know about muntjac, but I've never been able to get sambar or chital to take a solid lick. I have great luck with liquids though & muntjac may be the same. I use warm water to water down mollasses to 50% & add 3% salt, 3% garden lime, & will also add 3% urea if things are getting dry & brown.

For antelope, reds, fallow & rusa I sometimes use a solid block with high calcium, but they will walk past it to get to the liquid licks if its avaliable.

If I'm trying to attract or keep pigs about I use about 20% blackstrap to warm water & no salt,lime or urea just bakers yeast & let ferment for a few days.

Cheers Sharkey