Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anything compare to the Zeiss Duralyt for the price?

Does anything compare to the Zeiss Duralyt for the price?

Just wondering if anything really comes close to the Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 for the price. I want something with good light transmission that can be used for a bit of longer range foxing/targets as well as stalking which rules out fixed power scopes. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Cheers

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    As in new price, I don't think so.

i have the conquest 4.5/14x44 and its a tad better ?................or is it just the fact that i have had it the longest,

either way i think for the cash they are a cracking buy, I had 2 and sold both to shooting buddies for there 243/stalking rigs, both are very happy with them,

regards

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Assuming you're talking new cost?

illuminated, I personally think the hawke endurance 3-12x50IR had wasn't far off the duralyt 3-12x50 IR I upgraded to. Didn't use the illumination so chopped it in for a 6x42 S&B - S&B is far superior to either IMO.

The only time I miss the magnification is at the range so may upgrade to a 2.5-10x40 S&B at some point when finances suit!

If you're talking non illuminated then S&B, Kahles, Docter, and Burris are all comparable (if not better) than a budget Zeiss for the same money.

Nothing wrong with the Duralyt, it's down to whether you want a bottom range audi or a top range VW - v similar (same engines actually) but you might find you get more for your money by going for a top of the line cheaper brand than a bottom line expensive brand.

The only problem I can see is the fixed parallax as I use an ns200 NV kit. To be honest though I think the duralyt will take a lot of beating for value. No one looking to sell one by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Assuming you're talking new cost?

If you're talking non illuminated then S&B, Kahles, Docter, and Burris are all comparable (if not better) than a budget Zeiss for the same money.

Nothing wrong with the Duralyt, it's down to whether you want a bottom range audi or a top range VW - v similar (same engines actually) but you might find you get more for your money by going for a top of the line cheaper brand than a bottom line expensive brand.
    This is how I was thinking originally until I had a look through a duralyt the other day, and was hugely impressed. My leupold vx-3 cant touch it at all. The only problem as I mentioned before is that I would like some long range features such as ballistic turrets, P/X adjustment and a few more mags.
    Last edited by carper99; 15-06-2013 at 17:15.

Meopta Meostar are pretty close. I've got a Duralyt on my .308 and a Meostar 3-12 X 56 R1 on my HMR. I've had both rifles in a high seat with me and at last light they are indistinquishable. 50mm Meostars are about 620, 56mm about 680.
    My Meopta turrets are MOA which give smaller increments than the mil-rad of the Duralyt. My only issue with the Duralyts are the 10mm/click @100m increments. Fine on a stalking rifle, not so good for long range small vermin.

Both these scopes are superb value considering how much more you have to spend to go up a grade with European glass.

Meopta seem to be really good value. Just having a browse for something that suits my desired specs

Quote Originally Posted by carper99 View Post
    The only problem I can see is the fixed parallax as I use an ns200 NV kit. To be honest though I think the duralyt will take a lot of beating for value. No one looking to sell one by any chance?

This is how I was thinking originally until I had a look through a duralyt the other day, and was hugely impressed. My leupold vx-3 cant touch it at all. The only problem as I mentioned before is that I would like some long range features such as ballistic turrets, P/X adjustment and a few more mags.
    Looking through one and using one for 6 months are two very different things I was impressed in the shop but whn I started using it in the same shoots I'd used the hawke there was no difference.

A mate of mine has a duralyt and has no regrets so I'm sure you won't.

Illumination and ballistic turrets are gimmicks for most hunting applications - you'll use them for the first few months then forget they're there. Usefull for target shooting at distance on black targets but I only do that about 5 times a year now and it's no hardship to take the caps off and put a day glo
    ​sticker on the target

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Meopta Meostar are pretty close. I've got a Duralyt on my .308 and a Meostar 3-12 X 56 R1 on my HMR. I've had both rifles in a high seat with me and at last light they are indistinquishable. 50mm Meostars are about 620, 56mm about 680.
    My Meopta turrets are MOA which give smaller increments than the mil-rad of the Duralyt. My only issue with the Duralyts are the 10mm/click @100m increments. Fine on a stalking rifle, not so good for long range small vermin.

Both these scopes are superb value considering how much more you have to spend to go up a grade with European glass.
    Agreed . . . I like my Zeiss, but agree with the above . . . after much playing around, I have now managed to put together a very accurite target load, the increments on the scope piss me off though . . .10mm is just to big a jump per click.

Yeah, the 1/3 MOA turrets are far from ideal. My issue is that I want a scope that will work well for low light stalking, long range pest/fox control and some target work. Not an easy spec if you dont want to spend a grand +