Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peli Case or an Alternative.

Peli Case or an Alternative.

Im looking to buy a good strong rifle case as have three trips coming up.

Can anybody recommend a case and why please

Im not too worried about the cost as what its holding is worth looking after.

What can anybody recommend or do you have one in good condition with locks for sale that is airline approved?

Cheers

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    Im looking to buy a good strong rifle case as have three trips coming up.

Can anybody recommend a case and why please

Im not too worried about the cost as what its holding is worth looking after.

What can anybody recommend or do you have one in good condition with locks for sale that is airline approved?

Cheers

Terry
    Hello, yes, all I can say is Peli case, new or second hand it matters not, they are indestructible and brilliant. I bought mine second hand for about 150 and its absolutely superb, with pressure vents on it to keep it from popping in an aircraft hold. Its got little wheels on it too for scooting it around airports and has not one but two handles on it, its completely lockable too, with about 5 locking points. It also has a water proof seal on it so that you can chuck it out of a plane into a waterfall and it will keep the inside dry and thus float ! This is a feature that I find to be so handy, indeed, I take advantage of this daily.
    The great thing about the Peli case is that you can put all your kit in it, chuck it in the back of the van or truck and not worry about something knocking your rifle to bits or damaging your optics. Mine looks like its been knocked about and taken a massive hammering, but that's because it has, my rifles look clean and tidy though.
    If you get a Peli case then just pm me and I'll show you a good trick with some wire and a car battery charger, to cut the foam nicely.

Kind regards, Olaf

I bought one of these for my trip to Finland last year:

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/540...ack-mf037-blk/

Sturdy, crosscut foam inside for a snug fit and wheels for lugging around.

Might fit the bill....?
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Terry, you cannot beat a Peli for strength and security.
    They are not cheap but then neither is the item it is protecting so worth every penny.
    I bought mine from the Dive shop in Poole that also sold firearms not far from the new ASDA but I went there last week and it is no longer there.
    Whether it has moved or gone bust I have no idea but I am sure any good gun shop, Talarms perhaps ? could get you one.

Cheers guys...

The Peli case is the one im going to go for.

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Terry, you cannot beat a Peli for strength and security.
    They are not cheap but then neither is the item it is protecting so worth every penny.
    I bought mine from the Dive shop in Poole that also sold firearms not far from the new ASDA but I went there last week and it is no longer there.
    Whether it has moved or gone bust I have no idea but I am sure any good gun shop, Talarms perhaps ? could get you one.
    I think it went bust before xmas. I see theres a "Shooting Shop" started again in Poole but different location.
    The previous owners advertisers on guntrader, under dealer search , Dorset. Might be worth sending him an email asking if he can still get them.

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    Cheers guys...

The Peli case is the one im going to go for.

Terry
    I just looked, mine is a Peli storm case, its a Peli case on steroids ! Any of the Peli cases will do though, they are all super.

These are on sale at the moment : Peli Storm iM3300 Case

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    If you get a Peli case then just pm me and I'll show you a good trick with some wire and a car battery charger, to cut the foam nicely. Kind regards, Olaf
    Olaf,

please share as I am going to be sorting out my Peli soon and don't want to make a mess of it .

thanks in advance

​Mick

I use Pelis a lot. They are great for what they do but may not be suitable for your purpose. They are robust, very heavy and can be a pain to travel with in terms of size and so on. Getting one in a hire car, for example, can be impossible plus you can have significant excess baggage costs to pay for "features" which you almost certainly don't need.

You may find that if you were to go to a maker of custom flight cases you could get a case much more suited to your needs, and much easier to travel with. A custom flight case is likely to cost at least as much as a Peli, probably more if you're getting a decent job done, but will probably be lighter and more compact for the protection it provides. There is a lot of very delicate gear travelling the world in custom flight cases with no problems and in your situation with a lot of trips planned you are likely to find such a case much better suited to your actual needs.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

"You may find that if you were to go to a maker of custom flight cases you could get a case much more suited to your needs, and much easier to travel with. A custom flight case is likely to cost at least as much as a Peli, probably more if you're getting a decent job done, but will probably be lighter and more compact for the protection it provides. There is a lot of very delicate gear travelling the world in custom flight cases with no problems and in your situation with a lot of trips planned you are likely to find such a case much better suited to your actual needs."

A good point, what rifle are you looking to take with you Terry.
    If it is full sized and not modular then the full sized Peli weighs in at 12.5Kg empty and is rather large for transporting in an average hire car.
    I know, because I had one and have since got rid of it.
    Now I use the smaller Peli that takes the Blaser or a Remmy taken apart, stock from the barrelled action.