Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife sharpening

Knife sharpening

Hi guys what do you use for sharpening your stalking knives and /or have you any tips on procedures etc . I'm absolutely crap at it so any advice will be gratefully received .

I bought a kitchen devils ceramic wheel sharpener from Asda for 5 and although it was useless on my kitchen knives it makes my Mora and other Scandi ground blades plus Gerber Myth razor sharp, sharper than when they were new. Like you I'm not great at doing it free hand so need the help. Seems that the Kitchen Devil ceramic wheels are at the perfect angle for certain blades. For 5 its worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    I bought a kitchen devils ceramic wheel sharpener from Asda for 5 and although it was useless on my kitchen knives it makes my Mora and other Scandi ground blades plus Gerber Myth razor sharp, sharper than when they were new. Like you I'm not great at doing it free hand so need the help. Seems that the Kitchen Devil ceramic wheels are at the perfect angle for certain blades. For 5 its worth a try.
    Cheers mate worth a try a 5

I use a spyderco tri sharpener, but for ease the lanky is best, as its easier to get the right angle, the art is never to rush it,while out stalking I keep a little diamond sharpener in my truck if I have to touch up after more than one deer. For my EDC I use a strop once the angle is right.

World leading IT duffer I'm afraid. I'm sure its been posted before, but no luck finding so far - have a look for '5 sharpening kit' on British Blades/ Bushcraft Uk - whether follwing it exactly or not, it is a mine of useful info.

Of course obliged to say that we sell what we choose to use - for keeping an edge topped up - lanskey ceramic - whether rod box or fold a vee.

Would also support the extra finish that stropping provides - needs doing right, but worth it.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

I am rubbish at knife sharpening but since I got a lanskey ceramic rod box from Moray my blades have never been so scary sharp

A few years ago I bought a Boker Ceramic penknife (in retrospect a great idea, but in practice terrible) but I still sulk that it is blunt, a few weeks ago I went to their website to see if they have finally introduced a sharpener, and they have. It's called a work sharp and with a full set of belts does everything. It's dear at 100 but the best sharpener I have ever owned. I have worked my way through all the knives in the house, all my work knives, axes, lawn mower blades etc. I foolishly mentioned in the pub that I had this amazing sharpener and mates have called in to have their knives sharpened! In the pub tonight I was greeted by a mate who said " that sharpeners
    ​f+^%ng lethal, it's so sharp I didn't even know I'd cut myself!" Work Sharp: Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener --- Heinnie Haynes - Knives, Pocket Tools and Accessories

Haven't found anything to beat the Lansky yet for cost and simplicity. An ultrafine hone is a good invetment though, the fine it comes with isn't fine enough really.
    Not all blades are finished to precisely the angles offered by the Lansky system. If they are slightly different, to begin with you'll make the edge worse until you've re-set the angle. Just have patience and keep going, repeating the same number of strokes each side. And don't forget which angle setting you've used. I also finish by stropping on leather to polish the edge. Makes all the difference.
    Otherwise, consider a flat ground blade. They're much easier to sharpen free hand. I've used my Arthur Wright bushcraft knife for gralloching and its fine for all carcase duties except perhaps skinning, but if I need a knife for that I prefer a blunt one anyway. I even used quite a heavy flat ground blade for rabbit paunching and its works just as well as a hollow ground.

(The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

(The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!