Thread: From the South West

From the South West

Put deer on the back burner in 2002 in order to develop business interests and now have the free time available to permit me getting involved again.

Been rough shooting, small/fullbore rifle & pistol since 1976 and stalking from 1987. BDS National Stalker's Cert (1991), Advanced Stalker Cert & Range Conducting Officer (1992). Worked for a period of about 11 years in a professional deer mangement/stalking capacity.

Also completed the BDFA certification in field slaughter and have held various English Nature and Home Office licences to 'take wild deer alive' by S.5 tranquilising rifle/dart etc. for a number of research projects - where the deer were fitted with GPS collars and released. They were exciting, (and stressful!), days due to the neccessity of getting within about 30m before taking the shot and then tracking the darted deer in sometimes thick cover - amazing how far they can go in the 3-5 minutes before the drugs took full effect!

Not sure how any of these historical qualifications or my practical experience will sit with the new DSC 1 & 2 regime but I presume that some re-qualification will be neccessary - anyone had experience of this situation?

For deer the .308 was my choice and I toted a heavy barrelled Mannlicher 'Jagdmatch', (wooden stocked version of the SSG with the candy twist barrel and ventilated fore end), around for a number of years. I'm looking for something a bit more manageable now - maybe a 6.5x57 Stutzen I've come across - so I can enjoy a less intensive involvement in sport stalking.

Welcome to a cracking site, (once you get used to the gremlins!), , Maybe you could teach the teachers a bit? 8) Steve.

Thanks for the welcome.

There's always something new to learn, so I'm openminded about it all, but.....

Two maxims I've found appropriate for life in general,

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.
    He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches.
    --G.B. Shaw, "Maxims for Revolutionists" in
    Man and Superman (1903)

and

Knowledge is power
    scientia potentia est
    Sir Francis Bacon (1597)

Strangely enough in my experience the first can often be very applicable, (and the second less so!), to people involved with deer for some reason.

Re: From the South West

Quote Originally Posted by Orion
    Devon/Somerset border to be exact.

Put deer on the back burner in 2002 in order to develop business interests and now have the free time available to permit me getting involved again.

Been rough shooting, small/fullbore rifle & pistol since 1976 and stalking from 1987. BDS National Stalker's Cert (1991), Advanced Stalker Cert & Range Conducting Officer (1992). Worked for a period of about 11 years in a professional deer mangement/stalking capacity.

Also completed the BDFA certification in field slaughter and have held various English Nature and Home Office licences to 'take wild deer alive' by S.5 tranquilising rifle/dart etc. for a number of research projects - where the deer were fitted with GPS collars and released. They were exciting, (and stressful!), days due to the neccessity of getting within about 30m before taking the shot and then tracking the darted deer in sometimes thick cover - amazing how far they can go in the 3-5 minutes before the drugs took full effect!

Not sure how any of these historical qualifications or my practical experience will sit with the new DSC 1 & 2 regime but I presume that some re-qualification will be neccessary - anyone had experience of this situation?

For deer the .308 was my choice and I toted a heavy barrelled Mannlicher 'Jagdmatch', (wooden stocked version of the SSG with the candy twist barrel and ventilated fore end), around for a number of years. I'm looking for something a bit more manageable now - maybe a 6.5x57 Stutzen I've come across - so I can enjoy a less intensive involvement in sport stalking.
    Hello Orion -

We are of a similar vintage. Your first BDS qualification is the analog of DMQ/DSC1 and recognised as such. If you send it to DMQ they will replace it with a 'new' certificate.

The advanced Stalker's qualification currently has no DSC equivalent. I too have it - mine from the RAC at Cirencester - but my DMG insisted that we all had to go through the hoops of getting DSCII some years later when it was introduced - primarily so we could become Accredited Witnesses. It did seem a little bizarre, having done the advanced course, to have to prove a much lower level of competency and knowledge for DSCII, but there you go. I guess if you *need* to have DSCII, you'll have to do a portfolio.

Incidentally, there was some talk in DMQ circles of the BDS Advanced Course perhaps being the template for a DMQIII or higher-level qualification, but I am not aware if this is still a live issue.

With kind regards.

KevinF.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the comments.

Since my original post I've enquired with DSC about compatability between my existing qualifications and the new regime and have been informed that they basically amount to nothing!

Apparently the BDS NSCC could be upgraded to DSC1 up until April 2003 but not thereafter. Even my British Deer Farmers Association Field Slaughter certification would not exempt me from the relevant element of the DSC1 test!

It's obvious to me that there has been a considerable amount of empire building going on in the last few years and they must want to keep the revenue stream going.

My only concern is that when the firearms enquiry officer comes a calling, he might not, depending on how long he has 'been in the loop', initially be prepared to accept my existing qualifications and experience as good enough reason to issue an open cert from the off.

I say 'initially' because over the years I've played the FAC game inside out and back to front - what with S5 applications for tranquilising equipment, magazine pistols and culling exotic species: and I've kept copies of all Police & Home Office correspondence, licences and FACs.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the comments.

Since my original post I've enquired with DSC about compatability between my existing qualifications and the new regime and have been informed that they basically amount to nothing!

Apparently the BDS NSCC could be upgraded to DSC1 up until April 2003 but not thereafter. Even my British Deer Farmers Association Field Slaughter certification would not exempt me from the relevant element of the DSC1 test!

It's obvious to me that there has been a considerable amount of empire building going on in the last few years and they must want to keep the revenue stream going.

My only concern is that when the firearms enquiry officer comes a calling, he might not, depending on how long he has 'been in the loop', initially be prepared to accept my existing qualifications and experience as good enough reason to issue an open cert from the off.

I say 'initially' because over the years I've played the FAC game inside out and back to front - what with S5 applications for tranquilising equipment, magazine pistols and culling exotic species: and I've kept copies of all Police & Home Office correspondence, licences and FACs. But even so I would still prefer not to get into a pissing match with a PC who thinks he has something to prove - until calmly requested to put it all in writing.

It really gets to me when these paid public servants try to make policy - but they always seem to cave in when confronted with the facts. I remember that a requested meeting with the Home Secretary sorted out one drone in the HO and an implied threat of a request for a Judicial Review sorted out an FAC impasse in short order!

We shall see - it might be fun.
    Oh - I'm so sorry and regret the duff information. I did do the trade before 2003. It's a maddening situation and, I think you're correct, symptomatic of empire building. Is this policy on the hoof or really an accurate reflection of current law? I wonder.

I can't help with DSC 1, but can with II, should you decide to do it. Some AWs charge (I normally do since it's quite a time consuming process), but if it suits I'll do the required for nowt if you can come here. However, I imagine there are AWs in your neck that would be equally happy to spend a morning in your company. Allow me to wish you the best of luck with what you decide to do.

Yours aye

KevinF.