Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oiled v Varnished Stocks

Oiled v Varnished Stocks

Can anyone tell me what the pros & cons are with regard to Varnished over Oiled stocks?

On pure looks I prefer the Oiled, but is the Varnished more practical?

On another note:
    Can anyone recomend a good Gunsmith that could remove the Varnish from a stock and Oil it?
    Thanks

I followed Olaf advice on this, he put a post up on how to oil a stock the correct way and the results are outstanding! i had tried the rest and was not at all happy,i took his advice on how todo correctly and sanded it down and oiled it as per his way its very tough and durable much more than varnish or that horrible tru oil and it looks absoultly beautiful for what is not an overly pretty stock

+1 for Olaf's way of doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by wikedwickedmotox View Post
    I followed Olaf advice on this, he put a post up on how to oil a stock the correct way and the results are outstanding! i had tried the rest and was not at all happy,i took his advice on how todo correctly and sanded it down and oiled it as per his way its very tough and durable much more than varnish or that horrible tru oil and it looks absoultly beautiful for what is not an overly pretty stock
    Indeed! Olafs prescribed way of doing it gets very good results! what stock are you refinishing?

Varnished can look 'ok' for a while, until it starts wearing off and/or chipping, then it just looks horrid. it also looks very shiney, and can be hard to keep looking nice once it begins to get wear in the usual places, it's usually downhill from there.

Oil is the 'right' way of finishing a gunstock, but doing it the correct way takes time and skill. it's not a job (contrary to popular belief) of just slapping on a bunch of boiled linseed oil...well, it can be, but it will look 'so so' for about 3 months, then duller and duller, and eventually S***. don't go that route if you value your gunstock or aesthetics...

a good and proper oil finish will look great and last for many years, and with a good routine of maintenance can be kept looking beautiful quite easily.

if you wish to take the job on yourself, make sure it's done right and you've done your research on which method you apply.

I do a lot of stock re-finishing, so would be happy to do it for you, my charges for a strip, dent raise and re-finish in oil is £115 + P&P and takes 6 weeks.

whichever route you take, please chose 'oil' over varnish or plastic sprays ;-)

regards,

​Peter
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    Varnished can look 'ok' for a while, until it starts wearing off and/or chipping, then it just looks horrid. it also looks very shiney, and can be hard to keep looking nice once it begins to get wear in the usual places, it's usually downhill from there.

Oil is the 'right' way of finishing a gunstock, but doing it the correct way takes time and skill. it's not a job (contrary to popular belief) of just slapping on a bunch of boiled linseed oil...well, it can be, but it will look 'so so' for about 3 months, then duller and duller, and eventually S***. don't go that route if you value your gunstock or aesthetics...

a good and proper oil finish will look great and last for many years, and with a good routine of maintenance can be kept looking beautiful quite easily.

if you wish to take the job on yourself, make sure it's done right and you've done your research on which method you apply.

I do a lot of stock re-finishing, so would be happy to do it for you, my charges for a strip, dent raise and re-finish in oil is £115 + P&P and takes 6 weeks.

whichever route you take, please chose 'oil' over varnish or plastic sprays ;-)

regards,

​Peter
    Now Peter takes stock finishing to a whole new level!

No true oil (crapy stuff ) in use there!

How is my stock coming on mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post
    Now Peter takes stock finishing to a whole new level!

No true oil (crapy stuff ) in use there!

How is my stock coming on mate?
    Many thanks for the kind words!

Your stock is currently undergoing a series of home brewed alkanet staining, oils will begin being applied on wednesday :-)

Did I ever mention my new place has a 100ft+ walnut tree with a trunk that's 2m diameter?...it's taking everything I have not to turn it into stocks! ..part of me secretly is hoping for a wild storm or lightening strike ;-)
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    Many thanks for the kind words!

Your stock is currently undergoing a series of home brewed alkanet staining, oils will begin being applied on wednesday :-)

Did I ever mention my new place has a 100ft+ walnut tree with a trunk that's 2m diameter?...it's taking everything I have not to turn it into stocks! ..part of me secretly is hoping for a wild storm or lightening strike ;-)
    Really!
    I have a chain saw with a very big blade on it!