Thread: Sponsored DSC1 at Carlton Moor Range

Sponsored DSC1 at Carlton Moor Range

Evening folks,

So there's good news and awful news!!! Starting with the good though....

From the title you can see that I was one of the beneficiaries of the SD sponsorship, it was in this vain early Friday morning I made my way to Carlton Moor Range to start the training, nervous wasn't the word but on arrival mike was there to welcome all the participants and offer us all a hot drink! After the introductions Peter Pursglove started the teaching as some of you will have seen from my earlier post. After the teaching mike was more than accommodating in allowing anyone the use of the range, in fact he helped a number of us with our own rifles set them up in addition to teaching us the sticks element of the test.

Anyhow the morning of the second day arrived and Peter informed us today is deer deer deer, and that's what we did. I can safely say I went from knowing them all as bambi to being able to tell the difference. Later on in the afternoon we sat a mock exam of peters, in which I scored 19/23 I can only say that some of them pictures where hard hard hard. During the mock I began to doubt myself what with mike and Peter talking about top and bottom ones, I thought there where two deer in the picture not that it's a flaming hybrid .

Test day!! We rock up and sit the written papers, deer recognition is easy peasy when you have done peters the night before!! Then come the other written papers, I felt they went ok but only time will tell , the safety assessment was good apart from the group of cut outs falling down! Then the shooting assessment and the bit I was nervous about turns out there was nothing to worry about, I was put at ease and told there was no time limit. I must admit the feeling after was one of joy knowing I had passed at least one part!!!

So for those of you that have managed to get this far without falling asleep... I said there was some awful news... It was the people, no not really the only downside about today is I'm not going back tomorrow!! I have Already spoke to mike and plan on going and getting some deer rounds sorted as well as a couple of stalking outings.

My advice to anyone on here in the Ashbourne area that's thinking of doing level one, there's only one real option and that's mikes. He will put you at ease and help you with anything your struggling with, wether that's shooting technique or dates he is there to help!

Once again thanks to Peter for all the teaching and Mike for funding it all, John thank you for choosing me . In addition everyone else that has offered there survives, products or advice!

I can not wait to start my stalking career however as stated above I want to be dam sure I can kill something I'm aiming at hence the home loads, so as I wait here for my certificates (hopefully passing ones) to land on the door mat in three weeks time or so! I shall keep you all posted on how I'm getting on in the future.

Ps hi to any of the guys on the course reading this glade to meet you all and learn what the term shirt lifter means doh! I did try and get photos but I was so excited I forgot

Well done. Thank you for sharing the experience.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

SD Regular
    Congratulations. You'll enjoy the certificate landing. Nice to see enthusiastic people come to the sport.

I'm not sure I understand your last sentence though - too excited to get photo's of shirt lifters? - I'm sure you don't mean that.......
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Congratulations. You'll enjoy the certificate landing. Nice to see enthusiastic people come to the sport. I'm not sure I understand your last sentence though - too excited to get photo's of shirt lifters? - I'm sure you don't mean that.......
    sugar reads really bad I meant I meant to get photos but was too excited plus I learnt what a shirt lifter was

Ah the important stuff. Now next time you need to learn how to make a decent cuppa. And that doesn't mean anything other than a decent cuppa.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Well done, glad you enjoyed the experience and you learnt from it. A big thanks to Mike for his assistance in the bursary scheme, this is our first candidate to take the level 1, I hope we can help a few more overtime.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Well done, glad you enjoyed the experience and you learnt from it. A big thanks to Mike for his assistance in the bursary scheme, this is our first candidate to take the level 1, I hope we can help a few more overtime.

John
    Cheers John it's been a pleasure

Congratulations!
    Very interesting and enjoyable read!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Well done and congratulations, i did my dsc1 with peter and it was really well put together and your rite mikes got a cracking set up at carlton moor.