Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cull Fees

Cull Fees

What does everyone think about paying to shoot cull deer , yes paying to stalk ok, But paying a fee on top to shoot an animal that needs culling i think is a bit much What do you all think.

Gadget.

It's a very interesting question...

There seems to be a lot of difference between the multitude of available paid stalking... I've seen it where no cull fees applied at all, no fees for cull does but a 'success charge' for cull bucks (separate to trophy charges), and of course, cull charges for both does and bucks.

I wouldn't expect to pay to shoot a cull animal...

If you are getting a guided stalk and therefore benefitting from the knowledge and experience of your guide, as well as the use of his land, then of course you expect to pay for that.

In the case of culls, however, how do you know if the stalker needs to get the job done and is actually profitting from getting someone else to do their job, or if they are offering a genuine and valid opportunity to oters who either don't have access to their own land, or don't have that species or landscape on their own patch?

Could spark quite a debate....

Hi

I would expect to pay for someones time to take me out,Or a fee to stalk on there ground (unaccompanied)
    But if the beast needs culling i would not expect to pay for a cull animal.
    I don't agree with paying for trophy fees as well. and would never do it.
    i believe if a beast needs culling it should be for better reasons than cash.
    But if people are prepared to pay stupid cash to shoot big heads then they can have them and i will stick to the cull animals.

ATB
    Cam

It's all a question of supply and demand. As long as some people are happy to pay for cull animals in addition to an outing fee, the professionals will continue to charge.

As long as the fees are agreed up before any stalking takes place I can't see a problem. You pays yer money, you takes yer choice - and you can always go somewhere else if you don't like an arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole
    It's all a question of supply and demand. As long as some people are happy to pay for cull animals in addition to an outing fee, the professionals will continue to charge.

As long as the fees are agreed up before any stalking takes place I can't see a problem. You pays yer money, you takes yer choice - and you can always go somewhere else if you don't like an arrangement.
    moles right in my opinion, if someone wants to pay me to shoot deer on my permissions why should that be wrong the deer will die either way, i like to shoot myself and buy stalking myself, but if i can enjoy a stalk and pleasure in getting both of us within range and get sucess and get paid to do it am i a fool making a living out of your hobbies.(no i,m not).
    if you do'nt want to pay do'nt but some people will its not wrong or explotation people come to me and the prices are not hidden.
    Either i shoot the deer and get the carcass value or someone pays me to find the same deer for them to shoot i'm in pocket they are happy and the deer dies either way.
    As long as the deer was going to be shot anyway theres no problem.
    I spend alot of time on recon keep putting up high seats and help on the game shoots no one pays me for my time doing this in return i get the deer, so landowners are happy shoot captains are happy and me and clients are happy wheres the wrong in this i am very busy so alot of people out there WILL pay for culls and trophies. I'm glad or i'd need a big paper round.

I used to go out on an estate in the highlands that only sold days for cull animals and they only charged a set price.I can see the point off charging extra for a trophy beast but only if it is off medal class.I would never pay for an outing and then more for a cull animal but then I have ground that I can shoot cull animals on.It all depends on an individuals circumstances,
    somebody without ground might be more than happy to pay a cull fee if it gets them out stalking .If you don't like the fees you don't have to book it

deerhunter270

I had a 72 MGB sitting on my drive for a year. Wouldn't drive, rotten right through, had to get rid of it before the council told me to. The scrappy still gave me 100 for it.

Same principle - even if somthing has to be done it doesn't mean it has no value. Most things are worth something to someone.

I can see where paying cull fees might work to the advantage of the guest stalker:

There is one place I know of where the stalking fee for the day is very low but the cull fee is 150ish. This certainly motivates them to get each guest a shot as otherwise they wouldn't even be covering costs in my view. In turn I think that works to the advantage of the guest as if they walk you miles over ground never known to hold deer for the whole day then you might be none the wiser but they are losing money. It is, therefore, in their interests that you shoot a deer and I would say that works in the favour of the guest.

So, while I find complex variable "trophy fees" somewhat off-putting I can see how a flat cull fee if set at a reasonable rate can work to my advantage in some circumstances.

Let me see 1) A charge for the stalking 2) A charge for the beast to be culled or maybe a charge for missing 3) pay for the end use if you want to eat it. How on earth can it be fair to charge a succes fee on say a Fallow doe. I certainly would not pay for cull does and any spikers would have to be reasonable before I would part with the cash.
    By the time you have added these variables together what seemed a reasonable fee in the first place quickly becomes not so.

Quote Originally Posted by vizslamad
    Let me see 1) A charge for the stalking 2) A charge for the beast to be culled or maybe a charge for missing 3) pay for the end use if you want to eat it. How on earth can it be fair to charge a succes fee on say a Fallow doe. I certainly would not pay for cull does and any spikers would have to be reasonable before I would part with the cash.
    By the time you have added these variables together what seemed a reasonable fee in the first place quickly becomes not so.
    you are missing the point you only pay for the priviledge of shooting someone elses deer dont pay and shoot your own its simple a choice anyone can make. however its broke down you pay. more or less again people are free to shop around.