Foxpro Problem

kevhumps

Problem seems to be that my FoxPro Scorpion works too well! Twice in the last week it has brought foxes steaming in to the call, so well, that even when switched to mute, Charlie has had a fix on the call, and run to it, winded it, and scarpered, without presenting a shot! Anyone had a similar experience? I'm toying with the idea of using a old rabbit skin or similar to try and mask the scent, a bit of a pain I know. Any thoughts?
Kev.

I use mine as a guide to get it into the safe shoot area away from me, muting the machine to take my presence out of the equation.

Try not to let the target so close

I have had a couple stop at the machine and work around it looking for the mouse because I couldn't turn the mute on to silence

​Phil

I use mine as a guide to get it into the safe shoot area away from me, muting the machine to take my presence out of the equation.

Try not to let the target so close

I have had a couple stop at the machine and work around it looking for the mouse because I couldn't turn the mute on to silence

​Phil

Call was set up 80 or so yds out, but the call itself spooked the foxes, probably my scent on it!
Kev.

Call was set up 80 or so yds out, but the call itself spooked the foxes, probably my scent on it!
Kev.

When they come steaming in like that I usually whistle at them to stop them at a suitable distance before they get too close.
I squeak all mine in "by hand" so obviously if I don't stop them in time the game's up!

I seen someone on here or UkVarminting that hung their Foxpro off of a metal stake with a dead bird (pheasant was the example I saw) dangling beneath it so the fox had something 'real' to get its teeth into.

had one of those when using a phone. bloody thing came so close I thought I was going to have to kick it!!

I hang them in trees now

It might not be your smell with the foxpro but they may have winded you where you were sitting. I've had evenings when I've been looking the other way and looked round and there is one looking at the box on the ground and then start pawing it trying to get in. The easy option if you are having problems is some stinky dog food near it then you distract them when close. Otherwise you just have to be quicker to take the shot and sometimes with really shy ones you don't get the option of getting them to stop

Hi Kev, give me a call ill talk you through the best way to handle it but simply put turn it off the moment you pick the eyes up. The first thing I do is reach for the handset no matter if its tearing across the field. I e had too many bit the thing full tilt lol and leg it off due to bad positioning if the caller

been there !!! now when we are out foxing we have 1 of us on the caller and spotting and the other JUST on the gun so all he has to do is shoot we have had them hit the caller full tilt and 1 time try to pick it up like you said when they have a fix on it you have to stop them befor they get to it found that if they get spooked by the caller there very hard to get them to come back in to it!!! ian

Problem seems to be that my FoxPro Scorpion works too well! Twice in the last week it has brought foxes steaming in to the call, so well, that even when switched to mute, Charlie has had a fix on the call, and run to it, winded it, and scarpered, without presenting a shot! Anyone had a similar experience? I'm toying with the idea of using a old rabbit skin or similar to try and mask the scent, a bit of a pain I know. Any thoughts?
Kev.

What would your Grandad say if he was here now

Back