Thread: Bucks in velvet?

Bucks in velvet?

I was out walking the dogs this morning before work (0430 hrs) in an area where I see the odd couple of roe quite often. The area is not shot in any way and I think the most management done in the area by council contractors is a bit of tree pruning and path clearing.
    This morning my dogs disturbed a buck that was still in full velvet and full winter coat. From what I saw I would say 4-6 pointer and appeared in fair condition.
    I thought they would be clear of velvet now and at least started shedding that winter coat? I've only seen clear bucks for weeks now.
    What are you seeng? Any as above?
    Wingy
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

not seeing bucks in velvet but i am still seeing winter coats some are just coming through with summer coat but i saw a doe in full winter jacket and no sign of changing, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Shot a small buck last week in very poor condition still in velvet but coat was just changing.

I shot a young buck two weeks ago who was still in full velvet. He was in reasonable condition but only had 2 points on one side and the other side was broken off about hal way up.

I assumed that the damaged antler was the reason he had not yet lost his velvet.

Every other buck I have seen in the last month has been clean or very nearl clean.

Cheers

Stewarty

Still quite a few youngsters in velvet.

Number of youngsters in velvet still and changing coat.

Not seen any in velvet but did see 2 nice muntjac with your name on them wingy so roll on sept bazil ps the red stags are still about

Quote Originally Posted by bazil View Post
    Not seen any in velvet but did see 2 nice muntjac with your name on them wingy so roll on sept bazil ps the red stags are still about
    Can't wait Baz, should I bring the .243 and 100grain ammo to keep my options open?

Yes mate please do , it should a good time bazil