Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Word of warning when sending or receiving goods, especially firearms via rfd

Word of warning when sending or receiving goods, especially firearms via rfd

Please, please be careful when sending or receiving goods from ANY courier and make sure you wrap the items well and check the goods in the prescence of the delivery drivers!!

Unfortunately it seems I might be finding out the hard way that delivery companies can easily get out of paying for damaged goods!!

Long story short (not naming names until it's resolved), I bought a rifle from an RFD that looked mint, was known by my RFD as a decent chap and we spoke on a few occasions before going ahead with the deal.

Rifle delivered to my rfd, who checked the packaging which showed no signs of damage, signed the docket, only to open the parcel later to find the safety catch bent which then sheared off completely due to a hefty wack in transit! I contact said courier today who says we have no chance of a claim as the item was signed for to say it was received in good condition. I need to speak with the rfd who sent it tmoro as he's closed today as it's his responsibility, according to the courier, to ensure we now the rules as stated on his account!!

So basically when you receive something you need to make the driver wait until you've opened the package, inspected it and are happy there is no damage before you sign! I for one will now be doing this and expect a few irate drivers under pressure to meet deadlines but that won't be my problem!!

I just hope now I can find a safety catch for said rifle and it can be fixed ok without breaking the bank!! Also knowing this I won't be buying a rifle unless I can collect it in person, which is a shame!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

you've found out the hard way which most people do with courier goods in transit insurance. The small print is designed to make it very hard to claim yet they will still take additional money for insurance for goods that aren't covered.
    If the sender sends many then he wants to kick up a stink as they might relent though often they then produce an excess or want the original purchase receipt etc. Thereafter the receiving rfd needs to remember to sign unchecked.
    Goods sent need to be so well packed because they will have boxes dropped on them and go through automated handling systems. My customers try all sorts fragile stickers rather than proper packaging is a favourite. Personally i would never buy a rifle and rely on it being couriered unless an absolute last resort and then I would want it shipped in a hard case.

couriers are terrible all our stuff gets opened and checked before we let them go the amount of times i have seen the van being opened up to gear all over and the driver climbing to get to parcels there is no wonder there is damage it just looks like they lob it in ,i know it does'nt help your situation and good luck finding a safety catch ,not sure what rifle but does that mean a whole new trigger assembly? atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I now get a slightly reduced rate with my courier as they wont insure my quad sticks after breaking three sets in succession. I now send them in substantial card tubes and havent had any breakages YET!
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

to be honest if you ship a rifle in anything that will allow damage then you must be partially to blame.
    Everyone knows couriers are worse than baggage handlers

I have a set of wheels dropped so hard they managed to puncture three layers of card board and 15mm of high density foam!!

Always sign received but not inspected, company policy, if courier objects tell them to take it back, never met a driver yet who objected.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    to be honest if you ship a rifle in anything that will allow damage then you must be partially to blame.
    Everyone knows couriers are worse than baggage handlers

I have a set of wheels dropped so hard they managed to puncture three layers of card board and 15mm of high density foam!!
    I worked at Manchester airport for about 4 years and have witnessed how baggage handlers treat cases. I find it hard to imagine any worse treatment but courtiers have a good try

It is irritating. One of those things that you shouldnt really have to, but prudence says you do - anything we send out gets wrapped as though it is going to be delivered from 800 feet by a Hercules at 350 mph with no drogue 'chute!

It isnt 100% infallible, but spreads the miser back to the courier - I sign everything as 'goods not inspected, no warranty given'.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

SD Regular
    Always sign received but not inspected, company policy, if courier objects tell them to take it back, never met a driver yet who objected.
    I am surprised how many people don't follow that simple, sensible, piece of advice.

Indeed when I worked in a supplies environment there was a made up rubber stamp that said, effectively, "Goods Signed For As Unexamined".

I always sign "one package unexamined" and, as OP say if driver objects they have the option of waitng whilst contents are then checked.

The argument I have with the sender will be how poorly packaged it was and hopefully they'll foot the repair bill but we'll see what unfolds tmoro!

I've been onto a friend at EB and luckily it's just the safety catch bit itself, if they can find one. Brno ZKK601. Fingers crossed!

Out of interest a question for you traders/rfd's, would you expect to foot the bill for the damage if it can't be claimed back, agree to go halves or say it's tough luck on my part and it's now my problem? After all I've paid for advertised goods from a dealer which have arrived in an unsatisfactory condition?

Just curious before I speak to them again as I've never been in this kind of position before?

Cheers
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory