Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: buying expensive items on forums

buying expensive items on forums

Hi guys, now I am currently looking around for a better scope for my 243 and was just wondering what kind of precautions are reasonable to take when shelling out several hundred quid to someone on an internet forum ?I see quite a few 'paypal as gift only' or 'bank transfer only' and when large sums are considered can't help but be skeptical Cheers - Lloyd

speak to sombody who has a bit of history on the site has a decent post count showing hes no fly by night and always paypal payment as its verified if you both have paypal accounts

what scope are you looking for ?
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

There's always good and bad who have stuff for sale. I've bought some really good stuff off here and only had one duffer whose fu*cked me about and paid him nearly 2 grand for an item I've not received and not had refund for ( quarter of a year ago).

To give admin their credit they have been as helpful as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by R8 user View Post
    There's always good and bad who have stuff for sale. I've bought some really good stuff off here and only had one duffer whose fu*cked me about and paid him nearly 2 grand for an item I've not received and not had refund for ( quarter of a year ago).To give admin their credit they have been as helpful as they can.
    Paid 2 grand for no item + no refund :O , its things like this I find very worrying

Pay for stuff off your credit card or paypal and you can claim if you never receive goods etc.

Bank transfer or cash has no come back unless with Police/ Fraud .

Quote Originally Posted by R8 user View Post
    Pay for stuff off your credit card or paypal and you can claim if you never receive goods etc.

Bank transfer or cash has no come back unless with Police/ Fraud .
    We should not forget that the seller may be equally apprehensive and keen to avoid an unhappy outcome.

K

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    speak to sombody who has a bit of history on the site has a decent post count showing hes no fly by night and always paypal payment as its verified if you both have paypal accounts

what scope are you looking for ?
    Are paypal "GIFT" payments verified???

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Are paypal "GIFT" payments verified???
    yes if both accounts involved are verified if not no
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

I don't take paypal unless a gift and bank transfers are fundamentally more secure
    I have been burned as a buyer and a seller using Paypal

if you have any concerns then don't buy
    if it seems too good to be true......it probably is!!

that said you are in a community here like it or not
    compared to eBay this place is church hall bake sale and most people know someone who knows someone

​what are you looking for?

Something like a S&B 8x56 with 1" tube as that's what size my mount's are

They seem to be going around the 300 mark, I know that might be small change considered to what a lot of people spend on there gear here but Its 300 I have worked hard to earn and wouldn't want to lose .