Thread: New South Warwickshire Member

New South Warwickshire Member

Good evening,

I have been reading and enjoying the forum for a while and have finally plucked up the courage to introduce myself. I live in South Warwickshire, near Shipston-on-Stour and am a retired, full-career infantry soldier. I have a much-cherished 34-year-old Tikka M55 in 308 Win (Zeiss Diatal 4x32, T8 Mod,) and a newish Ruger 77/17 (Pecar 4x32, SAK Mod,) and use Harris bipods when appropriate. I have an open certificate and stalk Fallow locally, with some foxing and rabbits, and am always on the lookout for more opportunities. I usually shoot Sako Gamehead 123 gr for the deer, as it is a very sweet match for the old Tikka.

I have a good, experienced picking-up dog (4-yr-old lab bitch) who is very steady and I am bringing her on to sit with me and follow-up any deer that run but she hasn't been out "live" yet!

Anyway, that's me - I have learned a lot from all the senior members here already and look forward to sharing much more. In the meantime, anyone in the area who wants to make contact is welcome to do so.

Graeme

Hello to you, & I don't reckon you'll be on your tod for long in that county!Steve.

Re: New South Warwickshire Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme M
    I have a much-cherished 34-year-old Tikka M55 in 308 Win
    Graeme
    Lovely rifle, made when Tikka was still a family firm and made and sold rifles without the aid of CNC machines and the Sako marketing budget. Take care of it - they are going up in value - sought after in original state as collectors items and as bare actions for use as the basis for custom rifles.

Thank you, Steve and Kevin,

The Tikka is a lovely rifle - completely original with the first (rounded-off) fore end design and the big, black bolt knob for cold weather. It has had a lot of use but is in lovely condition and still shoots a lot better than I can! Off a makeshift but stable rest, it will still shoot very tight groups; in my hands (I am nearly 60) it shoots consistently and has a lovely balanced feel to it. The big revelation to me was when a chum put me on to the Sako Gameheads - they just seem perfectly-matched to the rifle and certainly do the job.

I have stuck with the Zeiss Diatal-C 4x32 over the years as higher-magnification scopes just magnify all the symptoms of old age! Most of my shots are between 70 and 150 yards and even in poor light it provides a wide field of view and a sharp image.

That doesn't mean that I don't like modern rifles and scopes - I do and have seen some lovely combinations in the field. I recently shot a new Sako with a S&B 6x42 and it was a dream - but I think me and my old M55 will see each other out!

Graeme

Welcome...

Welcome. A fine rifle. I've just had mine re-barrelled after goodness-knows how many thousand rounds (mainly at paper targets!) with a Border stainless barrel. Looks a bit different but shoots superbly.

Andrew

Hello Graeme

Hi im Nick, welcome to the forum, we have a few things in common, used to own a Tikka M55,in 308, with the wooden stock, heavy barrel and big round bolt handle, I had it for many years, shot a lot of muntjack and fallow with it, using the same ammo, the barrel started to wear, had it shortened to 18 inches, put a mod on it and it still shot half inch groups, i was finnally seduced by a new Tikka 595, worst decisision i ever made, did not like the rifle so part exd it against a new Sako 75.
    I have 3 Labradors, and pick up on a big estate in Warwickshire, my old yellow lab long gone now unfortunatley, used to be my deer dog, excellent at finding game/picking up, and loved to stalk with me.

I have a small piece of ground near Barford, that runs along the river, I dont shoot it very often, just take the occasional Roe off it, most of my stalking is around Meriden and the East Midlands.

Re: Hello Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by Sikaside
    Hi im Nick, welcome to the forum, we have a few things in common, used to own a Tikka M55,in 308, with the wooden stock, heavy barrel and big round bolt handle, I had it for many years, shot a lot of muntjack and fallow with it, using the same ammo, the barrel started to wear, had it shortened to 18 inches, put a mod on it and it still shot half inch groups, i was finnally seduced by a new Tikka 595, worst decisision i ever made, did not like the rifle so part exd it against a new Sako 75.
    I have 3 Labradors, and pick up on a big estate in Warwickshire, my old yellow lab long gone now unfortunatley, used to be my deer dog, excellent at finding game/picking up, and loved to stalk with me.

I have a small piece of ground near Barford, that runs along the river, I dont shoot it very often, just take the occasional Roe off it, most of my stalking is around Meriden and the East Midlands.
    Sounds like a nice easy life, just taking what is needed!

Blimey
    how did i miss this one
    Graeme
    i know your area well , i stalk quite a bit in wawrickshire
    plus i use a Tikka and a lab for follow up work
    great minds think alike
    ATB
    Stone

Hi Nick and Stone,

Been away so I apologise for not responding sooner - thank you for your welcomes and may see you around Warks/Gloucs/Worcs/Oxon borders sometime! Most of my stalking is informal, with various permissions on a variety of farms, some just working on my own and some helping out the landowner, so I am very lucky. My sister lives halfway between Aviemore and Inverness so I get a couple of trips up there a year on her ground as well.

Picking up with my lab a couple of days a week at the moment and she is going well but I need to spend more time with her on "following-up"!

Just seen the posts on .308 Sako Gamehead 123 gr on the ballistics board - I love them (ie my Tikka loves them) and I have not had any probs at all with excessive carcass damage but I still feel a bit of a newbie to pitch in to that discussion!

Yours,

Graeme