Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got an allotment?

Anyone got an allotment?

If you have how you finding things this year, been feckin slow on ours and that's in good old fen soil too!! This time last year we were lifting spuds, carrots, beetroot, salads, etc no probs!! All we've had so far this year are raddish, little gem lettuce and rhubarb!!

Took these this morning and some bits are still bare coz it's been so cold, the seeds aint germinating!! Don't seem to stop the weeds though!!

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

That's not looking too bad. I have a little garden where I'm attempting to grow tomatoes (big and cherry), lettuces, radishes, carrots, strawberries, raspberries, courgettes, cucumbers and peas. I germinate most of the seeds indoors and did that back in March. The tomatoes were planted outside perhaps six weeks ago. Only in the past week or two have they started to actually grow, they were just stagnating before and one plants was entirely obliterated by slugs and snails. I planted some more indoors because at this rate, I reckon the new plant will catch up. The cucumbers just wouldn't grow and all died. The courgettes only started growing properly two weeks ago. Lettuces look alright, the radishes just produced long red roots and leaves. The peas are taking their sweet bloody time growing up the damned nets.

So broadly, everything's just been on hold. There are no flowers on anything yet (apart from the berries), and none of the plants are actually big enough for that to happen. It looks like it's beginning to happen, but I'm worried it's going to be another one of those years where things take so long to grow that they start rotting or shrivel up and die before anything's come to fruition. I mean the tallest damned tomato plant is only 30cm high!

The only thing I find 'attractive' about allotments are the sheds.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    The only thing I find 'attractive' about allotments are the sheds.

K
    Bah humbug!!! I'll get some pics especially for you then, one shed is wood and one is metal!!

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Bah humbug!!! I'll get some pics especially for you then, one shed is wood and one is metal!!
    From which to hide and take pot shots with my BSA Airsporter. If I could be 15 again all the better!

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    From which to hide and take pot shots with my BSA Airsporter. If I could be 15 again all the better!

K
    Ah happy days, unfortunately they are council owned and they won't give me permission to shoot the pidges, so I have to spend most of the time netting everything before it gets gobbled up!! I do have a rocking chair and plentiful supply of cider in my shed though!!

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    I do have a rocking chair and plentiful supply of cider in my shed though!!
    All is becoming clearer!

Been on the council allotment list 7 years now and don't seem to be getting any closer.
    In the garden / greenhouse
    Carrots- loads of leaf but nothing much below ground
    Tomatoes - plum, cherry & beef just started to come on this last fortnight, all now in flower
    Plum tree - no flower at all
    Apple tree - no flower at all
    Cherry tree - flowered & fruiting
    Rhubarb - started ok but rotted
    Black currant - flowered & fruiting
    Raspberry - flowered & fruiting
    Strawberry - flowered & fruiting
    Grape vine - just getting going this last week
    Dandylions never seen so bluming many

Not an allotement but container garden. All new spuds in containers in greenhouse, flowering, been eating new spuds for 3 weeks. Outside one flowering. Klevdon Wonder peas 1 week off being ready being grown for the kids. Hurst Green shaft failed twice now in tray in greenhouse. Toms on 2nd and 3rs truses. Cucumber starting to move. Sweet peas 5ft tall and flowering profusly (Kearton specials) but planted last Oct in greenhouse and then transplanted into big trough. Garlic hopeless,Minimal fruit on plum despite profussion of flowers. Giant sunflowers 3ft.

By the way growing many varrieties of spuds all seed was from reduced organic spuds from Tescoe and Morrisons, including Picolo Star, Marris Peer, Venzela. Also have Arran pilot, Swift, and some others. Probably 1 month later than last year.

D

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you've had to grow most things under glass for a good chunk of time to arrive at that stage. Is that fair to say?