Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on Finishing a Boyds Stock

Tips on Finishing a Boyds Stock

HI,
    After much searching for an aftermarket stock I've just ordered a Boyds featherweight thumbhole stock for my CZ, I had to get an unfinished unilet stock as they didn't make the finished stock that I wanted. So if anyone has fitted/finished a unilet stock and would like to pass on any tips I would be very grateful.

what CZ is it for?
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    HI,
    After much searching for an aftermarket stock I've just ordered a Boyds featherweight thumbhole stock for my CZ, I had to get an unfinished unilet stock as they didn't make the finished stock that I wanted. So if anyone has fitted/finished a unilet stock and would like to pass on any tips I would be very grateful.
    Laminate? Use a satin finish varathane finish. I have done several of them this way. It penetrates and toughens the wood fibers and if the stock gets banged or scratched they are easily repaired.~Muir

It's a 452-2e zkm, .17hmr. I've had it a while but i've never been happy with the stock, it's lop is too short for me so i extended it a bit with a slip on pad but i also find that having hands like shovels i have a job getting a comfortable grip wich affects my trigger pull.
    Last edited by Farmer; 18-06-2013 at 15:00.

Cheers, boyds do some good finishing kits but aren't allowed to post them abroad, the varathane sounds ideal, i'm always careful handling my rifles but if you want to hunt you got to be prepared to cover the rough ground so i do pick up the odd dink now and then

Did you need to use a bedding compound or does that depend on how accurate you make the receiver/stock fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    Did you need to use a bedding compound or does that depend on how accurate you make the receiver/stock fit?
    You are going to have your work cut out inletting for the 452 plus IMO bedding would be of no advantage because of the unusual action screw arrangement and the dovetailed boss on underside of the reciever tang.

Ian.

Cheers Ian,
    I see what you mean about the fixings for the action and the dovetails, I had been wondering about them thats why I'm after advice. As for the inletting I was going see what the blank looks like and then copy the dimensions from my existing stock.

Sanding wise Boyds are usually pretty much on the money, I used Danish oil to finish my laminates as it gives a hard wearing protective finish

I have finished several laminated stocks with good old Tru-oil, it is very good, one coat a day for seven days knocking back with 0000 grade steel wool in between coats and finally finnishing off with stock sheen and conditoner and a protective coat of furniture wax.

Ian.