Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyme Disease

Lyme Disease

Woman diagnosed with MS suffered tick bite. Diagnosed with Lyme disease after 2 years.Taken from Telegraph today. Makes a mockery of "No such thing as chronic lyme disease" as spouted by the English reference laboratory expert,who was a joint author of a paper in the New England Journal of Medicine. Haven't been to the HPA web page recently as the misleading information given to GPs leaves me close to tears.Have pointed out to a few that a zoonotic disease and vets do know something about it. Soap box put away
    Last edited by morena; 18-06-2013 at 17:31.

Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means youve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you for raising the issue about Lyme Disease Norman. It should be bought to attention now and again and to make everyone aware of the severity of this disease that can have devastating effects on the body. Having had the disease some 3 years ago I know that it can manifest itself in so many different ways, but it is worrying how little the local doctors and health officials take notice and pass it off as something else without taking a simple blood test for Lyme.

If anyone is in doubt, go and get a blood test, and don't take no for an answer from the doctor either.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

I went to my GP a few years ago and he said the blood test is very unreliable with false positives and false negatives. Apparently taking a relaible history of the patient is the only relaible way. Only 40% of patients report having the bullseye rash.
    With the new system of GPs having control of their own budget I think we will have even last chance of getting a blood test.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Spin View Post
    I went to my GP a few years ago and he said the blood test is very unreliable with false positives and false negatives. Apparently taking a relaible history of the patient is the only relaible way. Only 40% of patients report having the bullseye rash.
    With the new system of GPs having control of their own budget I think we will have even last chance of getting a blood test.
    Had the same problem with my GP until I said "I'm not that busy today so I can sit here all day", I really felt lousy. I got the test but who knows if it was sent off? I ended up in the Hospital for Tropical Diseases in the end and was screened for everything, they were pretty good. It was an after effect I keep getting from malaria 27 years ago in Africa!

It may not be the norm but on a positive note my sons school in Dorset has issued advice and leaflets to all parents on Lymes.

They titled the last school info as Urgent sending to all parents via email.

A friend i mentor has just gone through treatment for Lymes...

Not nice !!
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Problem with Lymes is that no two people are infected in the same way, and if you are unlucky enough to have the disease missed when you are first infected, it gets progressively harder and harder to treat the longer you have it for. I have a friend, who has chronic Lymes (ie has had it for a few years) , and he knows that the first lots of antibiotics failed to total remove the disease. he knows he now needs a much longer course of antibiotic's to treat it but the doctors refuse to prescribe the longer treatment. Also once you have had Lymes, he reckons you always register positive from then on, so it is almost imposible to accurately diagnose repeat infection. Chronic Lymes can lead to very serious deep depression if left untreated, where people have been known to take their own lives as a result.

Raise awareness where ever possible is the best way to fight it.
    Last edited by Lakey; 18-06-2013 at 21:01.

Quote Originally Posted by morena View Post
    Woman diagnosed with MS suffered tick bite. Diagnosed with Lyme disease after 2 years.Taken from Telegraph today.
    Sorry I haven't read the article, can you elaborate a bit, is the article saying a woman was miss-diagnosed with MS but was actually suffering from Lyme Disease?

I quote ' A woman treated for multiple sclerosis for two years was cured after doctors found she had actually contracted Lyme Disease from a tick bite and this could be cleared up easily with antibiotics.' I paraphrase ' she thought rest of her life in wheelchair after being diagnosed with incurable MS but when she deteriorated carried out own research and suspected Lyme disease '

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Here is the entire article:

Woman diagnosed with MS had suffered tick bite

A woman treated for multiple sclerosis for two years was cured after doctors found she had actually contracted Lyme disease from a tick bite and this could be cleared up easily with antibiotics.

Julia Marshall-Wessendorf, 37, a mother-of-three, thought she was facing the rest of her life in a wheelchair after being diagnosed with incurable MS, which attacks the central nervous system.

When her symptoms deteriorated, she carried out her own research and came to suspect she had Lyme disease.

Mrs Marshall-Wessendorf, from Bath, Somerset, said: I used to look at my children and think, I want to be there for you and I wont be able to.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!