The Perils of flying with a bangstick

Well folks,

Here is a little story about flying and some of the pitfalls that can beset a traveller whilst travelling with a firearm.

After stalking with Malc last weekend I popped up to Gatwick and checked in for the 1345 back to Geneva, ariiving at the airport just after 11 (hopefully enough good time to sort out formalities). All well and good or so I thought. Until I got to the gate and boarding commenced when I was called forward. "We're very sorry Mr Seager but your firearm did not clear customs. We'll take you back, try and sort this out."

At first I was petrified and thought I might be looking at a firearms conviction. When eventually boarding had closed and we went back to the check-in desk. I got told that EasyJet had not got the customs stamp sorted so the Captain of the aircraft would rightly not accept the rifle. So, now being rebooked on the the 1700 flight I got walked through the rigmarole again (check-in, customs, security screening, the works) by someone who knew what they were doing this time. (Apparently a "new" member of staff had been in charge and not followed correct procedure)

So, this time I got on the flight no problem and got back to Geneva where, may I say, the customs formalities where a competently and professionally handled breeze.

I still wasn't too happy about spending from 1100-1700 in Gatwick after a 315 start to go stalking but all's well that ends well.

Now I feel a strongly worded letter coming on...

ATB,

Scrummy

Just picture that fantastic buck in your cross hair and your wait at the airport will hopefully seem insignificant.

Just picture that fantastic buck in your cross hair and your wait at the airport will hopefully seem insignificant.

It does kinda help ;). I'm just wondering if we should get BASC or someone to provide a checklist of requirements for airport procedure so this sort of thing could be avoided in future..?

ATB,

Scrummy

Gatwick procedures are worrying...

Many times I have returned from the US with ammo but TWICE I have been to the red channel to collect my checked in luggage which contained pre-booked and fully declared ammunition - and on presentation of my FAC (which was not looked at on either occasion) I was presented with a firearm.

"Ooops. We assumed it was yours"

:cuckoo:

It does kinda help ;). I'm just wondering if we should get BASC or someone to provide a checklist of requirements for airport procedure so this sort of thing could be avoided in future..?

ATB,

Scrummy

Drop the firearms team at Marford Mill an email. I amsure they would consider it. They are pretty helpful.

David.

Well, it's not for just now. First I need to wait until my brother-in-law finishes redoing his old farmhouse in Normandy. Amongst other things. But Eurostar will let you take your rifle locked away in a separate carriage, although no ammunition, as no explosives are permitted in the Channel Tunnel.

Gatwick procedures are worrying...

Many times I have returned from the US with ammo but TWICE I have been to the red channel to collect my checked in luggage which contained pre-booked and fully declared ammunition - and on presentation of my FAC (which was not looked at on either occasion) I was presented with a firearm.

"Ooops. We assumed it was yours"

:cuckoo:

Yes it was the funny that. The guy on the way in was very professional and highly competent, guys on the way out, not so much!

Scrummy,

The problem is that each airline has their own rules and procedures and then the airports have theirs.
Fly Easyjet from Manchester to Copenhagen they want your bolt in the rifle case. HMRC take the rifle off you at checkin.
At Copenhagen you have to have your bolt in a separate case (a bit difficult as my only checkin was my riflecase) and you take the rifle to a special security room.

Fly into Lisbon and you can have ammo in your checkin case, fly back out and it has to be separate. One member who thought he would just stick it in his case was off loaded and had to buy a new ticket for the next flight.

What applies this year may not next etc.

Stan

going across to france on shuttle is a doddle stalkinginengland does it all the time for trips on boar and has no bother last time we had around 12-15 guns and ammo with us ,a quick check and all on our way even in multiple vehicles, I would cross more often on that as its quick and painless just as a side note if people complain about the service on planes how many will just stop allowing firearms as too much hassle. more and more are not letting firearms on ,had similar at heathrow out to NZ the chap on the desk was great but the lad who took the rifles went off to the wrong spot luckily the guy on the desk saw him and ran after him to send him to the right department with us. On the way back i could have had anything in my csae as nothing was checked, its mad you go to declare and get sent on your way :cuckoo: . different ball game in nz they were well pleased to see us he even showed us the log of how many travelled into the country carrying firearms and how many were due in it was a massive amount , atb wayne

Last edited:
I think you're referring to the Shuttle rather than the Eurostar, which I imagine is pretty much the same as going on the ferry. Although you said that you took ammunition, and the Eurostar conditions of carriage specify that you can't take ammunition. I wonder why you can do so on the Shuttle and not on the Eurostar: it's the same tunnel.

sorry pine martin i did mean the shuttle not sure why they would do that on eurostar it seems pointless to have one without the other. atb wayne

Actually, on the ferry, you can take guns and ammunition but they have to stay in your car. You can't take them if you're a foot passenger. So in effect, it's all locked away in a metal box (your car) and you can't access it during the trip. It's the same on the Shuttle more or less. On Eurostar, they prevent your access to the rifle by locking it away in the special baggage hold, but that doesn't prevent access to it by staff. So I suppose that by forbidding you to take ammunition, they prevent access to working firearms by unauthorised persons, that is to say staff. Something like that.

Not a huge problem of course because you can just buy ammunition in France with your EFP. Probably worth phoning ahead to make sure they have it in stock though.

For those who are not aware , most airlines have "Anti`s" who work for them , they will go out of their way to screw up your trip , not letting firearms onto planes on time is one of the many dirty tricks ,also deliberately delaying your luggage at your destination , even interfering with in flight meals , no doubt to cause food poisoning !! ,

Ive had first hand experience of all of these problems when travelling to African destinations.

My advice is make sure your insurance covers these possibilities and dont eat the in flight food , take your own or buy it in the departure lounge !

This is exactly, why I try to leave my bangsticks at home and use my hosts ones....
Makes life and travelling much easier and enjoyable!
:norty:

Back