Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BASC or BDS for the best fringe benefits?

BASC or BDS for the best fringe benefits?

Hi there,
    I have been a Basc member for the last few years and renewal time is looming.
    Just wondering whether to go for Basc membership again or to switch to BDS.

I know others are available but just considering these 2 for now.

Basc comes with insurance included (am i right in thinking that BDS does as well?).
    You get a magazine from Basc and one from Bds, which is better - ive only seen the Basc one.

Keen to hear positive reports of Bds and what it offers?

All the best,
    ​Mike

I don't see that you can separate them they are a team normally you join both or none at all. (Well they are in Scotland )

Get the best of both worlds Mike join both mate. Both are very good. BASC have some very good schemes and are always at the end of the phone. The BDS hold some very good evenings and events.

Palmer_Mike,

BASC is an organisation for field sports and your membership includes insurance.
    BDS is a charity whose aim is deer welfare, your membership does not include insurance. They can provide access to preferential insurance for an additional fee.

They are not directly comparable in their aims. You make your choice how you support different organisations.

I am a member of both

Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by crouch valley View Post
    Get the best of both worlds Mike join both mate. Both are very good. BASC have some very good schemes and are always at the end of the phone. The BDS hold some very good evenings and events.
    Good advice mate, but afraid I cant shell out for the 2 at the same time. Basc do have arran and thetford stalking schemes which I know are supposed to be good, but i'm not going to be gong on either of those this year.

Tempted by BDS as they have range days (any comments on these?)

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Hi there,
    I have been a Basc member for the last few years and renewal time is looming.
    Just wondering whether to go for Basc membership again or to switch to BDS.

I know others are available but just considering these 2 for now.

Basc comes with insurance included (am i right in thinking that BDS does as well?).
    You get a magazine from Basc and one from Bds, which is better - ive only seen the Basc one.

Keen to hear positive reports of Bds and what it offers?

All the best,
    ​Mike
    You are correct with BASC offering Insurance included with the membership. I am soon to be a member of BDS and have asked the question and the insurance is separate pal.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Palmer_Mike,

BASC is an organisation for field sports and your membership includes insurance.
    BDS is a charity whose aim is deer welfare, your membership does not include insurance. They can provide access to preferential insurance for an additional fee.

They are not directly comparable in their aims. You make your choice how you support different organisations.

I am a member of both

Stan.
    Thats a fair point stan,
    You clearly have thought through your decision based upon the 'bigger picture' of the aims of the organisations etc etc.

The Bds membership fee is slightly less than the BASC (but works out slightly more than Basc when you add in the insurance - not enough more to put me off completely though).

I'm planning on joining the organisation which offers me the best fringe benefits for my membership, Ie range days, stalking schemes, training, publications etc.

All the best,
    ​Mike

I would say It sounds like BASC is for you then Mike. Don't forget if funds are tight you can pay BASC by monthly direct debit. Mike speak to BASC Chris Brooks he is the regional officer for Eastern region he will let you know whats on in the region.
    Last edited by crouch valley; 18-06-2013 at 20:59.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I am also a member of both.

The way I see the various organisations is as follows:

1. If you want the cheapest insurance join SACS (see also the sticky on the main page) - anecdotally they also seem to have the best on-call legal help
    2. If you want insurance plus a national lobbying organisation for all forms of game shooting and stalking join BASC - they also offer legal assistance with a dedicated team.
    3. If you want insurance plus a national lobbying organisation for all forms of field sports join the CA
    4. If you want an organisation whose primary focus is deer and deer welfare, and who probably have the best network of local groups of stalkers for range days, etc. join BDS

If you want to protect our Fieldsports for future generations, join all of the above

​willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 18-06-2013 at 20:51.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I'm a CA member at the mo but will be adding the NGO at some point as it covers the stuff that matters the most to me .