Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bit of help zero

Bit of help zero

when I put the 1st shot cold barrel down to the target it will go about 1" left and a bit low 100 yards
    reload 2st shot is bang on reload 3rd shot bang on
    let the barrel cool right down no cleaning
    Then put the 1st shot cold barrel down to the target it will go about 1" to 2" left and a bit left again
    Reload 2st shot is bang on reload 3rd shot bang on WHY IS THIS??
    Mark
    Sorry gun is a 22.250
    Last edited by markws80; 19-06-2013 at 08:45.

What range are you Zeroing at?

It sounds like your group size is about 1" or so which would be about right at that range. I reckon you should you shoot a 3 shot group and adjust so that the center of that group is bang on at 100yds. Are you using factory or home loads?

Home loads
    but why is the 1st shot about 1" left and a bit low and the next 2/3/4 shots will be bullet on bullet ?

All these rounds coming off the mag?, or top loaded?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

It could be that the first shot is from a cold barrel, and the rest from warm. Barrel temp will have an effect on the zero. If you are shooting quarry, which will rely on first shot accuracy. I would shoot a group but allow the barrel to cool completely between each shot and make adjustments from there.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    All these rounds coming off the mag?, or top loaded?
    Winchester model 70 22.250 it dose not make any difference if I put 1 in the chamber at a time or from the mag top loaded

It sounds like that described above, cold barrel first shot, as long as everything is exactly the same every time you try it?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by u32dw View Post
    It could be that the first shot is from a cold barrel, and the rest from warm. Barrel temp will have an effect on the zero. If you are shooting quarry, which will rely on first shot accuracy. I would shoot a group but allow the barrel to cool completely between each shot and make adjustments from there.
    I have done that but then the 2st /3/4 shot will be off