Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single stalking sticks

Single stalking sticks

As per the title a thread to display and/or discus the delights, pitfalls or allied verbiage applicable to SINGLE stalking sticks that you have acquired or made.

Iíll kick things off with one example I made some years ago as an experiment. The idea being the threaded 8mm rope would act as strategically placed points of improved grip c/o sliding one or two fingers through or around the loops. It worked very well until one day I applied far, far too much side pressure when negotiating a ravine and it snapped but then as an aid to steadying a shot a single stick will, for me at least, always remain secondary to a tool that assists in covering ground safely and silently. The former consideration being significantly improved when descending steep banks etc.

Cheers

K

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    As per the title a thread to display and/or discus the delights, pitfalls or allied verbiage applicable to SINGLE stalking sticks that you have acquired or made.

I’ll kick things off with one example I made some years ago as an experiment. The idea being the threaded 8mm rope would act as strategically placed points of improved grip c/o sliding one or two fingers through or around the loops. It worked very well until one day I applied far, far too much side pressure when negotiating a ravine and it snapped but then as an aid to steadying a shot a single stick will, for me at least, always remain secondary to a tool that assists in covering ground safely and silently. The former consideration being significantly improved when descending steep banks etc.

Cheers

K

I like the fittings on this ; so this attractive stick is one of your peeled and tie-dyed holly shanks ? S

I use a hazel stick I made up years back. A couple of years ago I cut the natural "Y" from the top and replaced it was a small Roe antler. The base h a 6" length of Black duralon plastic fitted to it to stop the bottom getting wet and rotting over time.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    The base h a 6" length of Black duralon plastic fitted to it to stop the bottom getting wet and rotting over time.
    Good idea using a synthetic, I usually use a stainless alpine spike on mine but it's a dead giveaway if you ding it on something ! S

Quote Originally Posted by Spix View Post
    I like the fittings on this ; so this attractive stick is one of your peeled and tie-dyed holly shanks ? S
    No. This was peeled ash with a few dyes splashed about and a handsewn leather wrap at the point of balance.

K

Regular Poster
    No. This was peeled ash with a few dyes splashed about and a handsewn leather wrap at the point of balance.

K

A handsome stick, yet unusual for ash to snap, it is usually so strong. It's so easy to work from green, I just use a mandolin vegetable peeler ; shank cut way overlength to avoid any split on a working end (just for the benefit of others, you know this anyway), perhaps worth trying with a big thick one.

I must try that camo look sometime ! S

Should you need a reminder of how truly mad I am, K still harbors a plan relative to this experiment that is to pre-drill the rope holes in a living and suitably undersized shank and then plug with ss inserts and leave to both ‘heal’ and mature for two years before harvesting!

If the ash doesn’t succumb at the brutal treatment stage it should reduce the tendency to snap at the weakened points. Not by much but every little helps!

K

I genuinely didnít want this thread to be seen as (or turn into) a ďLook at Kís Single Stalking SticksĒ but rather enjoy ogling what the site membership use and indeed think of their use in 21st Century woodland stalking. So, by way of bump only hereís one more and with the hope that the dearth of postings isnít an indication that the single stick has gone the way of loden capes:

---------------------

K

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I genuinely didn’t want this thread to be seen as (or turn into) a “Look at K’s Single Stalking Sticks” but rather enjoy ogling what the site membership use and indeed think of their use in 21st Century woodland stalking. So, by way of bump only here’s one more and with the hope that the dearth of postings isn’t an indication that the single stick has gone the way of loden capes:

---------------------

K
    K

I can't speak for single sticks, but I do have a loden cape. Having used one in Sweden last year I will definitely be taking mine to Croatia. For keeping warm and dry when sitting/standing still there is little to beat it.

​willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    K

I can't speak for single sticks, but I do have a loden cape. Having used one in Sweden last year I will definitely be taking mine to Croatia. For keeping warm and dry when sitting/standing still there is little to beat it.

​willie_gunn
    You old reactionary Mr. Gunn!

A picture of an alternative approach to single stick deployment:

K