Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roebuck prices.

Roebuck prices.

After reading a thread offering roe bucks, and having to have a go on a defibrillator to get the ol' ticker going again, and tending to the bump on the head, I was wondering what the average/usual price/cost is for a stalk, shot fee and meat cost (assuming a 20kg clean weight) without trophy fees for medal heads etc, because, to be honest, if what I saw is the going rate, I see why 'money talks', as if I had to pay that sort of money each time, I'd use the money towards emigrating to somewhere else, no wonder its so hard to get stalking if the land owners/estate managers etc are getting that sort of amount, and I can see why poaching is rife.

Regards
    ​Pete

For Roe bucks the going rate must be about 75 per outing, 50-100 for a small buck, 250+ for a 6pointer, 500-2000 medal heads.
    Probably buy the carcass at about 1/lb. This must vary quite a lot across Britain, with the most expensive rates being nearer the big cities and prime medal head areas. Cheaper rates in remote areas with "poor quality" heads. Some have a fixed rate for bucks of any size but perhaps some of these don't expect to see big 6 pointers anyway so maybe you get what you pay for. Still, stalking is still relatively good value in the UK compared with most of the rest of the developed world

Its great isnt it Pete x amount for the walk,x amount for the shot, x amount for the trophy,x amount for a missed shot, x amount for a wounded beast, x amount for the carcass and sometimes they want a tip. On stalking for a few days at some places you would pay less to hunt in Africa. But also you can get some very good deals on this site. If you donot see anything it can be a very expensive walk or sit down!

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    Its great isnt it Pete x amount for the walk,x amount for the shot, x amount for the trophy,x amount for a missed shot, x amount for a wounded beast, x amount for the carcass and sometimes they want a tip. On stalking for a few days at some places you would pay less to hunt in Africa. But also you can get some very good deals on this site. If you donot see anything it can be a very expensive walk or sit down!

If like some you are EXTREMELY lucky you can get permission on land with deer on then you end up paying nothing , other people not so lucky end up paying through the teeth.

I think that in this country we don't know how lucky we actually are sometimes. We have some of the finest deer stalking in Europe and it's easily accessible. There is cheap/affordable stalking to be had but only if you're prepared to shoot cull beasts.
    Having "permission on land with deer" does not usually mean that you end up stalking for free exactly, it usually costs your time: If I had been at work for every hour that I spent fox shooting last week I'd have enough money to pay for a couple of outings and shoot a couple of bucks.

Paying for stalking is nothing new, its been around forever just like hunting anywhere in the world. If you are very lucky to have your own ground and pay nothing for the privilege, then consider yourself very fortunate. If you are leasing a large farm or estate it has and always will cost money as a rule.

Let me put this question to you, how many people do you know who stalk, have free unbridled access to a 2,500 acre estate in southern England for free!

None I would guess.

So therefore as a full time professional I along with many others have to pay for the lease, and the owners expect a professional job and the deer managed effectively, not matter what species you are dealing with. Much depends also on what species are present, if it is all Roe one must be careful not to over shoot and manage them well to ensure you have quality rather than quantity heads. This takes time and money.

As an example my fees are 75 per outing, and this year a 25 kill fee. The treason I put this in place is because I had one or two people, (not of this site) who blew one or two bucks apart last year and expected not to pay. Venison is always extra wherever you go.

Taking into account what you get for the money British deer stalking is still good value for money, and with a huge demand at present for stalking it is likely to put more pressure on available land. Of course there are no guarantees you will grass a buck, or even see one and some may question this also. But this question has been done to death on here and you are paying for a mans time, equipment and lease. On average a 3 hour session on Roe will work out at 25 per hour, not taking into account overheads, so most professional stalkers are NOT making fortunes.

Of course you can always find your own ground, it is still out there to be had, but it is getting harder to find and retain. I can also tell you that an African safari ( and I mean a proper safari) will vary anything from $400 per daily rate in SA, to well over $2000 per day daily rate in Tanzania, plus trophy fees.

Makes prices in the UK pale into insignificance!

ATB

Sikamalc
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Love it!!

I have and do pay for the occasional stalk, luckily I was invited onto a syndicate and also have a princely 40 acres of my own land to shoot.

That said I still believe that anyone who charges for stalking, yet then tries to defend out of season shooting should have a word with themselves in the mirror. Those on this forum who do this know who they are and this is not relating to anyone who has posted on this thread just to be clear.

Also we as a country cannot say we have a deer problem when individuals and organisations are more concerned with pocketing cash than managing their deer population.

Overall I do believe that the price of a cull stalk in some areas is on another planet. I have seen on this forum cull fallow stalking at 150GPB+shot fee 60GBP+loss of venison fee at butchers rate (estimated of course) (for poorly shot)+loss fee 250GBP. Unbelievable.................

My thoughts are if you look around you can find good stalking at a reasonable price, those persons who charge these high fees will soon lower them if no-one books stalking with them.

​Pete

Quote Originally Posted by shep7376 View Post
    Love it!!I have and do pay for the occasional stalk, luckily I was invited onto a syndicate and also have a princely 40 acres of my own land to shoot.That said I still believe that anyone who charges for stalking, yet then tries to defend out of season shooting should have a word with themselves in the mirror. Those on this forum who do this know who they are and this is not relating to anyone who has posted on this thread just to be clear.Also we as a country cannot say we have a deer problem when individuals and organisations are more concerned with pocketing cash than managing their deer population.Overall I do believe that the price of a cull stalk in some areas is on another planet. I have seen on this forum cull fallow stalking at 150GPB+shot fee 60GBP+loss of venison fee at butchers rate (estimated of course) (for poorly shot)+loss fee 250GBP. Unbelievable.................My thoughts are if you look around you can find good stalking at a reasonable price, those persons who charge these high fees will soon lower them if no-one books stalking with them.​Pete
    I think you need to look at your own planet. If you don`t like the fees, don`t book .. simples. Those that `charge these high fees` are among some of the best in the business and some (reason dependant) will invite you back for a freebie. The pros on here are the first to throw a free stalk into raffles, fund raisers and the like and that is all out of their own pockets. Their life might seem like a bed of roses but honestly my friend .. it isn`t.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I think you need to look at your own planet. If you don`t like the fees, don`t book .. simples. Those that `charge these high fees` are among some of the best in the business and some (reason dependant) will invite you back for a freebie. The pros on here are the first to throw a free stalk into raffles, fund raisers and the like and that is all out of their own pockets. Their life might seem like a bed of roses but honestly my friend .. it isn`t.
    Very true Basil, but they still bitch about it, so don't book and don't pay like you say . It would be nice to see maybe a few more contribute to Pheasant Snipers cause or H4H, wouldn't it.
    Last edited by sikamalc; 19-06-2013 at 21:58.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

I think the advert you are talking about has had little interest on forum that we can see dont mean it hasn't but I think it's out of reach for the ordinary run of the mill working man and I'd feel bad taking big bucks pardon the pun off such a person .
    i understand the costs involved in being a pro guide and these are ever increasing .my mrs did pay as a treat for Xmas for a trophy red one time with a pro guide but the higher priced stalking would only be a treat not something I could do once or twice a week which I need to do to feed the stalking habit ! thankfully there is some affordable stalking on the directory and some not so affordable for me the ordinary working man .good that we ALL have a choice though eh !
    Cheers
    ​norma