Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do all Calibre

Do all Calibre

Please be gentle I new here and it's probable been done before.

I'm now in a position, after selling my large gun collection due to have a child, to get another CF rifle.

It needs to be a go to rifle for fox deer and wild boar. I'm thinking a 308 but a 270 is a possible. What are your thoughts?

Out if the two, .308 would be my personal preference but depends on whether FEO will give you fox on that calibre.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I'd like to think that you wouldn't be conditioned as/tell them you AOLQ.

I had a .308, sold it, now have a .270, no regrets. A .270 chucking 110gr will just about out perform and other cartridge/calibre combo. That also covers all deer species within the UK, you can always load/zero with 130-150gr for boar/reds.
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

FEO has said he will let me have most calibres with in reason and as long as it's for deer as well will allow it for fox. 308 he is very happy to grant

Are there any other real options with the boar if it was not for that I would have gone 243.
    Last edited by welshwarrior; 19-06-2013 at 20:20.

I have a .243 which i use for everything with 100g factory rounds. I love it. It is a little light for some red deer stalkers (albeit legal in scotland) so i am therefore adding a 30-06 to the cabinet. I like the sound of a .270 with 110gr but not sure of recoil, noise??? Maybe depends how often you use it? I have a pal who is a professional and he uses a 25-06 with 100g for absoluelty everything. His view is the more you use one set up, the more confident you are and that counts for more than 0.1 of and inch on calibre!

Given the spread you anticipate, I would go 270. I have used one on boar with perfect results a few times.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

SD Regular
    Fox and boar? Given that you consider a 308 (so no "military calibre" issue) I'd actually go for a 30-06 as you can launch Speer's 110 grain round nose soft points at stonking velocity and, for the boar, use 180 grain bullets in your 30-06 as well. Although point of impact may be different for the two loads.

The other outside choice would be 7mm Remington Magnum perhaps? With 175 grain bullets for the boar and lighter weight bullets handloaded for the fox.

270 is neither "fish nor fowl" for the two quarry species you note. A little "light" for the boar and yet nothing really light enough for the fox.

6.5x55mm with 120gr BT, 140gr SST and 155gr Lapua Mega, along with AOLQ is all you need for all UK has to offer...
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    Please be gentle I new here and it's probable been done before.

I'm now in a position, after selling my large gun collection due to have a child, to get another CF rifle.

It needs to be a go to rifle for fox deer and wild boar. I'm thinking a 308 but a 270 is a possible. What are your thoughts?
    'Probable done before??' It's probably done twice a week and has been for the last 2 years! The 'Advanced search' should be able to link you to a thread just like this about 5 hundred times. Adminall 'which calibre' threads PLEASE!
    Last edited by baguio; 19-06-2013 at 22:30.

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    'Probable done before??' It's probably done twice a week and has been for the last 2 years! The 'Advanced search' should be able to link you to a thread just like this about 5 hundred times. Adminall 'which calibre' threads PLEASE!
    If it has been done that often, which calibre is it then that is best for everything? I'm curious as it must have been sorted by now surely?
    MS