Thread: Ebay scam

Ebay scam

Hi guys
    Well last night some one from Ebay tried to scam me
    But I am a bit to long in the tooth for that
    It all started when I found a Ford Ranger for sale. So I emailed the seller to find out the mileage and how much they would take for it
    I got a email back saying they would take 4000 for it and deliver it from Scotland as that is where they are working at the moment
    The Ranger was a 58 plate I ask for the Vin number so I could check it out as it sounds to good to be true this is the email i got back

I got this notice:

Never reply to an e-mail that asks for personal information or copies of
    your vehicle documentation including the V5C. Keep vehicle documentation and
    details regarding your vehicle including your VIN number secure at all
    times.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience I am just trying to sell it
    safely.

Thank you
    Than I was told buy the so called seller Due to my location and since view or pick up is not an option I have
    requested personal support and I was approved to use Buyer Protection Program.
    Here is how the process works:

- you give me your full name and shipping address

- I start the transaction with the eBay,

- they send further payment instructions,

- you have to pay for the item to eBay to secure the funds,

- they confirm me that they received the funds,

- I deliver the car,

- you receive the car,

- they send me the money.

Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that
    you received the car in good order.

I than had a look and the truck was removed from Ebay

I have this morning looked up the email address which ends in brtsap.com and guess what they have done it with caravan's too
    so guys please beware and keep your wits about you

ATB
    Gary

Walk away, too cheap for that year unless its a 2wd single cab or done 200k.

Na I was going to send any money as they asked me to

Sorry to hear that Gary, not eBay per se, just crooks using eBay as their scamming portal. I was caught out by the eBay police when I advertised a Ranger recently - I had put my phone number on the description in good faith so people could call to discuss the vehicle and eBay cancelled the sale until I re-listed with my number removed. I can see their point as after all they are a business and people shouldn't use the site as a shop front and then try and get out of paying the eBay fees.
    I have bought two low mileage Rangers from eBay in the last 3 weeks and they have been faultless transactions and COD.
    I still have an old one for sale for sale on that site, but it has had a very hard life on a game farm and estate work, interested?

Thanks for the offer
    But I am looking for something I can use as a car as well as for shooting

No problem, this one will probably end up in Africa or India - I recently sold 2 HiLux that had 500k miles between the two of them which have been exported there!
    If you're patient and set on the Ranger there are deals out there - the two I just bought were a couple of hundred pounds either side of 5k, one with 43k miles, the other with 52k miles. Both very clean, service history and double-cab. The 4k as mentioned above does sound cheap unless high mileage.

The bottom line is you would be nuts to pay for a vehicle thats not physically in front of you , even then it could be stolen with forged docs , as far as I know HPI will insure against ringers (clone cover) if you use their checking service , HPI Check - Used Car History, Finance, Write Off Vehicle Data , read the small print !
    Last edited by Johno100; 20-06-2013 at 10:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post
    The bottom line is you would be nuts to pay for a vehicle thats not physically in front of you , even then it could be stolen with forged docs , as far as I know HPI will insure against ringers (clone cover) if you use their checking service , HPI Check - Used Car History, Finance, Write Off Vehicle Data , read the small print !
    Totally agree.
    It's also useful to have a friend in the motor industry! If you follow a few basic rules when buying a used car (or anything really), fortunately the dodgy deals are very rare.

They set them up so the vehicle looks very cheap and for every ten people with common sense they will get one where greed takes over and common sense doesn't apply. Its getting to be a nightmare buying or selling any vehicle online with all these chancers about but people must fall for it or it wouldn't be worth doing.

I had a similar problem with a FleaBay scam where they copied a 'for sale' vehicle details and reposted it under their name and telephone number.

We spotted it and informed the site and the police.

Beware BUYER AND SELLER!!

Regards

Fraser
    damnant quodnon intelligunt