Sausage skin what type for normal sausages

Overlay

Hi Guys

just ordered a sausage maker and burger press with all the gummings etc

Any recommendations on sausage skin types and where to purchase

New one for me, probably require a skin like a rhino so I don't philarise it :rofl:

Could be some odd sausage shapes around for a while. :D:D:scared:

Thank you

Phil

Butchers sundries sell them on ebay........the skins the easy bit,its the mix thats the art....good luck and happy stuffing!!!

If you are looking to make thinner sausages about as thick as a thumb, go for the lamb skins, if you are wanting to make big fat sausages go for hog skins.

If you buy them loose, they are a right pain in the ar5e to thread onto the sausage stuffer so my advice would be to go for the pre-spooled ones. All you have to do is soak them for 45 minutes then thread them on, it is so much easier and less time consuming.

I buy mine from weschenfelder who I would thoroughly recommend. They send you an ingredient card with every order showing you what ratio of ingredients to use depending on what you want. I make my sausages with the following:

hog casings: http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/content/home-pack-ready-spooled-british-hog-casings
lamb casings: http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/content/home-pack-ready-spooled-british-sheep-casings
Rusk: http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/content/yeastless-bread-rusk
seasoning: http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/content/royal-venison-sausage-seasoning
venison meat (from any part of the animal)
fatty lamb flank
​ice water

Delicious.

Cheers Guys

I had thoughts about lamb and venison sounds delishhh

Can,t wait to get all the bits together now, have ordered two different skins and see how it goes :scared:

Hope the ( Guinea pigs) Ooooops Kids and grand kids like sausages :D:rofl: if nothing else the they can have a good laugh at grandads efforts.

Thanks for your help guys appreciated, got a few recipes written down - god knows how they will come out, the wife wants some spicy sausages as well, if you hear a big bang in or around kent, you can assume I got the spice mix wrong again

ATB

​Phil

You will find hog casings easier to use as they are a bit more forgiving. Both the above sites are excellent as are scobbies.

I'm new to all this sausage lark and so far only used weschenfelders ready spooled cases but they are really easy to use,so far the best ones I've made were using their wild mushroom mix, bloody lovely,the first lot I made I put back through the mincer because the mushroom pieces looked quite big and that was the best ones so far.If your misses likes a bit of spice I made some using 50% ven and 50% lamb shoulder and some of weschenfelders merguez seasoning, didn't use any fillers and filled into lamb skins,makes a lovely meaty sausage with a great taste, I could just sit there and eat them all day.

You will find hog casings easier to use as they are a bit more forgiving. Both the above sites are excellent as are scobbies.

+1 Avoid using collagen casings, when we started sausage making we were advised to use these as being easier for novices but now we much prefer to use the natural casings. The other mistake we made was to use rusk, now we just do a mix of bacon offcuts, venison, herbs,spices and water.atb Tim

+1 Avoid using collagen casings, when we started sausage making we were advised to use these as being easier for novices but now we much prefer to use the natural casings. The other mistake we made was to use rusk, now we just do a mix of bacon offcuts, venison, herbs,spices and water.atb Tim

​Why no rusks???

​Why no rusks???
Because we don't like sausages with the texture of sawdust. After much trial and error we found that adding a lot of pork fat simply so that you could have rusk as well just made a bad sausage and weakened the flavour of the venison. Now that we use the venison, smoked bacon, herbs, spices, water mixture they come out brilliantly. atb Tim

Collagen skins are easy, I recomend when starting to use a comercial mix when doing a large batch and just use your own recipes in small sample batches untill you strike on something you like.
Here is my Hyd Stuffer in action:

Back