Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suvival kit

Established Poster
    Blog Entries

suvival kit

I have just been reading on the Internet and it says always carry a suvival kit while out stalking and suvival items does anyone do this and what do u carry

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Bit over the top but just got this through from Brownells.

Emergency Get Home Bag, Coyote : GET HOME BAG | Brownells

If your planning an extended trip it might suit you

.....Oh I didn't mean it to sound like I've got one, just a marketing email.
    Jesus dragging all that stuff around as well as a deer, I'd soon weigh 12 stone, now there's a thought
    Last edited by teyhan1; 20-06-2013 at 21:18.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

unless you are stalking in Alaska or the likes I wouldn't bother..
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Do u not have to carry a 'survival kit' when stalking on FC leases?

At least u did have to a few years ago, can't remember exactly wot it was now but something like map, compass, survival bag/blanket, strobe light, possibly a first aid kit.
    Must admit can see me buying a PLB this summer incase of a real emergancy

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Do u not have to carry a 'survival kit' when stalking on FC leases?

At least u did have to a few years ago, can't remember exactly wot it was now but something like map, compass, survival bag/blanket, strobe light, possibly a first aid kit.
    Must admit can see me buying a PLB this summer incase of a real emergancy
    This is the Arran scheme,quite a bit of kit to hump about, or at least it was when we were going regular,Anything/anywhere else, apply common sense, moby if you can be sure of a signal, a quality tailored to your activities first aid kit, and most importantly tell a responsible person your intentions.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I was thinking about this last night as I've been reading a book about controlling Muntjac. In one chapter it lists everything you should take out stalking, but if I did that there would be no room in my sack to put anything I may shoot!!

I defo need to sort out a basic 1st aid kit but it won't include a Rambo style knife and thread to stitch meself back together!!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by bigadam View Post
    I have just been reading on the Internet and it says always carry a suvival kit while out stalking and suvival items does anyone do this and what do u carry

If I`m out for just a few hours I take my wallet (so the missus cant get at it) and mobile , for a full day I go a bit over the top and take a small flask of coffee and some sandwiches or a pasty .

Survival seems to be a new hobby in the UK which I dont have a problem with but it makes me laugh when you see what kit some guys take with them for an hours walk in the park It`s all the fault of Mears & Grylls .

Take an orange plastic bivvy bag and a whistle,these are all you need in the UK and Ireland.If stranded for the night-get in the bivvy bag so you don't go down with hypo and when search party looking for you next day=blow whistle!!!.Not Ray Mears but it works,costs very little and is very lightweight.And I nearly forgot always carry water.

My survival kit consists of phone, emergency rations including high glucose tablets, tent, sleeping bag, mobile phone, water, fire lighting equipment, tea and coffee making facilities, small barbecue for cooking, generator to charge mobile phone and power the electric fence I also carry to keep camp safe from badger attack, distress flares, digital radio to stave off cabin fever, notepad and pen to make a diary to later turn into a book/film. Penknife to whittle spoons with, Two SAS survival guidebooks, (in case one gets wet) rudimentary fishing equipment, reverse osmosis desalination pump and water purifying tablets, hydrostatically released life raft in case of flash flood, ex Royal Navy once only suit in case raft starts to sink, first aid kit, emergency defib unit, fog horn to summon help, whistle for when that runs out, and bellows to power the whistle in case of punctured lung.

​This may sound excessive but I pull a rickshaw behind me whilst stalking for the dog to sit in and I find that it all just about fits in there.
    Last edited by jubnut; 22-06-2013 at 10:33.