Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little diplomacy advice

A little diplomacy advice

I have been fortunate enough to pick up my first permission from a friend of mine. 100 acres woodland and 40 acres meadow which has a healthy roe, heavy fallow and rapidly growing muntjac population. . No charge, 1/2 carcass to the owner or 1/2 value if sold. I thought this was fair.

The land is leased to a significant local shoot in return for a let days. As it happens I am in the syndicate for that shoot and so on pretty good terms with the keeper.

Now the poults are going to be going in fairly shortly and i have a feeling the keeper is going to be pretty sensitive about me traipsing around his pens. Obviously I need to have a chat with him and fully intend to do so soon. I am sure that most people who have a permission on here have to mix with driven shoots, have people had problems before the season starts and if so what has been the best tactic when discussing this with the keeper? Obviously i will shoot any foxes seen, but any other thoughts before i go and buy him a beer would be welcome. Perhaps i am just being paranoid but i really want to enjoy the rut!

Good post, look forward to the answers

​craggy

How many release pens does he have on 140acres of land? I would imagine not too many therefore if he is sensitive about it, for the relatively few weeks of the season the birds are in the pens for, then it shouldn't be difficult to avoid them. However, I have never seen poults do anything other than scurry off to the far side when I walk quietly by, causing them no stress whatsoever. Remember, they are used to humans approaching to feed them....

Tell him if he don't play ball , your buddy "Bigthug87" will be coming down to help you shoot it every day ... and then even if he does, you should have him come anyways

Na just kidding pal, just ask him of any area's he has the pest problems etc and if he has any brains he will see you as an asset , your a lucky lad mind, wish I could get such great land

As a feller who does a bit of keepering, I don't see much of an issue, so long as you don't rock the boat and follow a few rules. Don't be shooting near the pens whilst the poults are in there. When they're mostly out, again, try to avoid the woods where mostly they are. Get a list of shoot dates and avoid shooting before them. Otherwise the pheasants will scatter, guaranteed to annoy a keeper. They do return mostly but can take a week or maybe two.

You could offer when you go there to phone the keeper and offer to fill a few hoppers, or do any little jobs, saving him a trip and of course offer the odd bit of venison and despatch any foxes you come across. But most of all, whatever his thoughts are is what counts.

The sensitive times when the keeper has birds to wood for at least the first tree weeks are dawn and dusk just when you want to be about ,
    just liase when you are going with him you can save him time he can be at other pens having a sit and you can get a feel for the deer in the wood helping him by having a sit for Charlie will build a bond between you and cross over knowledge about the deer and foxs will greatly help both of you .as you are in the syndicate you won't want to spoil the relationship and neither will he . This could be a win win for both of you .
    here we have the shoot owners family members take thier dogs all over the shoot but come the poult season have to follow strict guidelines on where to go and I utilize them for dogging in duties we just have a few rules simples !
    Cheers
    ​norma

I always find it odd that shooters around the pens are absolutely fine, if they are shooting at foxes at all times of day and night, but a stalker quietly creeping round and maybe not even going close to the pen is often unacceptable by the same keepers.

Ask him how he thinks it is possible that the noise made by his 4x4, quad bike, the RAF on a low-level exercise, dog-walkers, horse-riders, thunder, and his shotgun, do not scatter the birds all over the area and totally spoil the shoot.
    Than ask him if in his opinion it is true that a moderated rifle shot has such a low noise signature that it is safe to shoot without hearing protection.
    Only than ask him if he agrees that the occasional single shot with a moderated rifle is not going to scatter his birds and spoil his shoot.

The keeper on one estate where I used to shoot deer was particularly sensitive of shots anywhere near the release pens a last light when the young birds were going to roost - right up until mid September. A bit excessive I always thought, but it is a concern to bear in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    Ask him how he thinks it is possible that the noise made by his 4x4, quad bike, the RAF on a low-level exercise, dog-walkers, horse-riders, thunder, and his shotgun, do not scatter the birds all over the area and totally spoil the shoot.
    Than ask him if in his opinion it is true that a moderated rifle shot has such a low noise signature that it is safe to shoot without hearing protection.
    Only than ask him if he agrees that the occasional single shot with a moderated rifle is not going to scatter his birds and spoil his shoot.
    Meow!!!! Me thinks someone has upset a gamekeeper in the past