Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildfowling in Scotland??

Wildfowling in Scotland??

Can anyone tell me, for certain, what the crack is with shooting on the foreshore in scotland? I live like three miles away from the solway and quite fancy getting into a bit of wildfowling but I don't want to be arrested for armed trespass or anything like that!

If someone can tell me the difference between England and Scotland (something to do with right to roam I think), that'd be cool too!

​Thanks in advance!
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Get in touch with BASC they will put you right. Some of the issues may be access and permits but there are differences between England/Wales & Scotland.
    Cheers
    Pete

The best way to do it is to contact the secretarys of the Wildfowling Clubs in the area you are wanting to use . Ring BASC up for the contacts.
    There is some free acess but the clubs will keep you right. It used to be that a man had right to recreation on Scottish foreshore below the high water mark of a normal spring tide, but with the onset of RSPB ,Local and National nature reserves,every bit of foreshore can be different.
    In England where you are talking about the foreshore is definately controlled by clubs albeit you may be able to get permits to shoot. Best advice JOIN YOUR LOCAL CLUB. Wf1

+1 on that. The subs usually/always include BASC membership in the price so generally a very good deal.The helpful people at Marford Mill will put you in touch with all the right people.

David.

Donald Muir of BASC Ccotland was very helpful when we looked into foreshore stuff.
    He alos made a site visit and advised us on boundaries etc. Will be worth a call if nothing else.

Scottish Solway Wildfowlers’ Association.
    Inner Solway.
    Contact: David Campbell, Nursery House, Comlongon, Clarencefield, Dumfries, DG1 4NA. Tel: 01387-870699.
    Permits available: Day – 6, week – 30, no Sunday shooting.
    Application Details: Applications to the above, together with SAE, permit fee and proof of BASC membership.
    Visits at our cost

Thanks! I'll get in touch with BASC. I think the clubs are quite hard to get into with waiting lists and being nominated and seconded and all that, that's why I wondered about Scotland. I'll get onto BASC and see what they reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Double four View Post
    Scottish Solway Wildfowlers’ Association.
    Inner Solway.
    Contact: David Campbell, Nursery House, Comlongon, Clarencefield, Dumfries, DG1 4NA. Tel: 01387-870699.
    Permits available: Day – 6, week – 30, no Sunday shooting.
    Application Details: Applications to the above, together with SAE, permit fee and proof of BASC membership.
    Visits at our cost

​Thanks!

No requirement for BASC,

If you have public access to the foreshore fill your boots between high and low water mark, the foreshore in Scotland is Crown Property, which allows recreational pursuits such as shooting, there are a couple of clubs on the Solway which can help with the various areas that are worth fowling on, they can and will give you tidal knowledge which take years to learn, that is worth paying money for .

So why would anyone pay for a permit to fowl when it is free. where in England the foreshore is buy permit from local wildfowl clubs etc that's if they want you as a member usually a waiting list ,in Scotland we can only shoot Monday to Saturday where in England they can shoot 7 days

I've shot on the Solway on the occasion which produces good results .
    Last edited by widows son; 23-06-2013 at 16:45.

Quote Originally Posted by rigboot View Post
    Donald Muir of BASC Ccotland was very helpful when we looked into foreshore stuff.
    He alos made a site visit and advised us on boundaries etc. Will be worth a call if nothing else.
    +1 I knew Donald many years ago when he shot on the Tay, a wealth of knowledge on all things wildfowling. You can contact him through BASC at Trochy.