Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extraction?

Extraction?

ok this is very simple i would like to know how you extract some of the larger game that are shot. things like moose, bear, large wild boar and some of the stuff in Africa. I don't see many hi-ab's or moblie cranes in the pics and some of these animals must be quite close to a ton in weight?

is it a case of light a fire and eat till there is nothing left or is it on site butchery? or are there just no pics of someone with a front loader?

Andy7mm

Quote Originally Posted by Andy7mm View Post
    ok this is very simple i would like to know how you extract some of the larger game that are shot. things like moose, bear, large wild boar and some of the stuff in Africa. I don't see many hi-ab's or moblie cranes in the pics and some of these animals must be quite close to a ton in weight?

is it a case of light a fire and eat till there is nothing left or is it on site butchery? or are there just no pics of someone with a front loader?

Andy7mm
    Andy,

My experience is of BIG tractor, bulldozer or Landy 110 with a sled.

Weave the long route to the trophy. You will be surprised how mechanical things can go where you can't.

Stan

In Africa the big stuff (or the biggest I've shot, Black Wildebeest, Eland, Oryx) is loaded onto pickups with a few guys humphing it up! Never shot a buff or a giraffe. One place had a winch where they could pull the stuff up into the back, but theres usually plenty of labour around.
    With the Eland, they almost reversed the pickup over half of it so that it was under the back, got its head up and then udged the rest up, some pulling from up top and some lifting. I've forgotten the actual weight but I think it was around a ton. Is that rubbish?

Andy,
    WRT African big game, it's gralloched on site and then loaded, by muscle power, onto the back of the hunting car, usually a Landrover/Toyota or similar pickup and taken back to camp for cutting up and turned mostly into biltong(smoked/dried meat) which is then eaten or sold. Five or six strong chaps can get a whole Cape Buffalo(minus gralloch) into a pickup bed with a bit of ingenuity and some ropes. Four can manhandle a 1000lb Eland bull again with rope assistance. Giraffe might be a problem, though, the neck is a bit floppy and the legs get in the way. There are machetes and axes if cutting up is needed. It is surprising how much weight a toyota/'Rover pickup can take. Not having hunted Elephant or hippo, I dunno, can't answer that one.
    I'm told that there is a trick, sometimes used by the old Professional Hunters, whereby if the trophy animal is found a long way from the hunting car, the PH annoys the animal sufficiently to induce it to charge and everyone runs away in the direction of the vehicle. By inducing a charge enough times, they will all eventually arrive where the hunting car is parked, the Client makes the shot and the trophy is loaded onto the truck, saving all the extra driving and walking. (Now, where's that 'falling about laughing' emoticon when you need it!)
    Peter

my experience of big game in africa is most of it was winched onto the back of the cruiser
    the giraffe was skinned and then cut up on site where it was shot
    regards andy

We use a timber trailer to collect moose. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    We use a timber trailer to collect moose. Easy.
    I like your style Jagare

Hi, they often use a tarpulin/sail to drag animals to the pick up or put poles through handle straps to carry the animal to the jeep,we used them for gemsbok and kudu. all the best graeme

Mechanical assitance of some kind makes a big difference if you can get the car anywhere near.

A good trick is to install pulley wheels on top of both the bull-bar and the roll-over bar - then you can use the front electric winch to pull whatever-it-is onto the back.

I have also seen a trailer winch installed in the front of the load box - simple and works well - and have used a little 'come along' to pull a big bull wildebeest onto a Hilux. Not very handy but it worked and there was only myself and the tracker.

I did once get a 260lb (clean) stag into the back of my wifes Golf with only my own muscle power, but I wouldn't recommend it.....

skin it, quarter it, remove backstraps and tenderloins, load it up and pack it out in as few trips as feasible...